All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
does anyone have wheat and lactose intolerance?
      #220283 - 10/19/05 01:03 PM
Sidewalker

Reged: 01/04/05

if so how do you live without going completely nuts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: does anyone have wheat and lactose intolerance? new
      #220291 - 10/19/05 01:34 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Lots of IBS folks have lactose intolerance. Substitution is key. Soy, rice milk etc.
I'll let others comment on the wheat intolerance.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#220300 - 10/19/05 02:11 PM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

Lactose intolerant for 15 years so when the IBS came it was no trouble to stay away from dairy. Just something you learn to live with like the IBS!

Don't have a cow! new
      #220381 - 10/19/05 06:30 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I was born lactose intolerant/milk protein & casein allergic. I'm wheat intolerant as well--high antibodies.

Re: dairy stuff

After a lifetime of 'not having a cow' there is a world of 'not milk' products. Truly, if you don't COMPARE them to cow products, you will like/appreciate/enjoy them. Obviously the milk of soybeans, almonds and other grains/cereals including rice tastes different. It's plant milk versus animal of cow or goat derivation. The nutrition is equal. A large part of the world is lactose intolerant.
It's only this continent that is habituated to cow foods.

Re: wheat. Most of the world doesn't eat it.

Kate, IBS-D.

#220428 - 10/20/05 07:11 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Why do you think you are intolerant of wheat? Have you had gluten antibody tests? Why do you suspect wheat is a problem?

Are you eating it now?

#220438 - 10/20/05 07:32 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I ate no dairy or wheat for one year. I was misdiagnosed with Celiac disease--but I have a lot to tell you!! The soy stuff was fabulous... there is a lot out now and it really helps. Here is what I did, so that I didn't go crazy-- (don't get me wrong, it was really though...but becomes second nature over time!) I found a great health food sotre with tons of gluten free foods. MANY people who cannot have gluten cannot have many other foods, including dairy. Many of the gluten free stuff was dairy free too! Check labels, but cereals they make, breakfast bars, rice krispie-like bars, pasta, etc... And don't forget, potatoes and rice are great options. Lots of fruits and veggies. It's a matter of saying to yourself that ricecakes CAN substitute for crakcers, or even rice crackers. It's all about finding replacements, not living without. I lost 30 lbs at first, but that was great--I was 21 and just a bit chubby, now I'm happy with myself and felt like I was eating quite healthy. It's expensive, but can be done! I hope this helps-- feel free to ask any more questions, b/c I feel like an expert after a year of that diet!!

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2203 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 569

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review