All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
To those who were interested in Juice Plus
      #220278 - 10/19/05 12:32 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I was tempted -- but kind of worried about the price -- plus the fact that you had to buy so many bottles - the MLM part of it... and so on. I looked around and saw that there are actually lots of vitamins made a lot like it. I guess a popular idea wouldn't be popular with just one company. Here is just one of those bottles that appears to have lots of veggies and fruits (and vitamins) for a lot less cost $14 dollars a month vs $40 dollars a month Just as good -- I don't know -- but it may be worth a try. There are others on iherb too. I also saw some in the vitacost catalog.

http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/alive2.html

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Vitamin A new
      #220302 - 10/19/05 02:13 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

As I was starting to explore in the JuicePlus thread, I would be cautious about any supplement that was heavily loaded with Vitamin A. Even Dr. Weil, who I consider to be very pro-supplement, is now recommending a maximum of 15,000 IU of carotene. (Reference)

And if you smoke, it is probably a very bad idea to take beta carotene supplements ( Reference)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Good point... and (more) new
      #220327 - 10/19/05 03:17 PM
kshsmom

The high levels of vitamin C In Juice Plus or these others are also troublesome for a lot of people with IBS -- sometimes causing gas & bloating.
http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#vitamin

It's just that if people were determined to try something like this -- I thought this might be a cheaper alternative. I wasn't really advocating those pills in particular -- more like making people aware that if they want that kind of thing -- there are other options available.

Oh, my goodness... new
      #220435 - 10/20/05 07:29 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

After I did my post, I started thinking about what you said about having to buy so much and checked the order form. Unless I'm reading something wrong, you have to start with a 4-month supply for $179. Ouch! I definitely agree with you - if I were going this route, I'd try something where I could buy fewer pills for less money to start out.

I didn't mean to imply you were advocating this type of supplement, so I'm sorry it came across this way. I get very nervous about heavy beta carotene and Vitamin A supplementation. I'm old enough to remember the Vitamin A toxicity scares in the early 70's (I think that's why supplements now supply Vitamin A as carotenes (pre-Vitamin A), rather than as true Vitamin A.) In addition, the large studies showing either no benefit or actual harm at least for smokers, make me very nervous.

It was interesting digging around in this stuff. It has left me even more convinced that Nature knows best how to combine vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, and so on, and we're nowhere near figuring out how to put the pieces together correctly. Back to the produce aisle for me.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I have to agree with you... new
      #220476 - 10/20/05 09:53 AM
kshsmom

finding ways to incorporate more fruits and veggies safely is really the best way to go. Plus this way we get to enjoy their flavors too.

You get so tempted by these easy, quick cures -- but whenever those shortcuts sound too good to be true -- they usually are.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1402 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 929

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review