All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
waaay too much weight loss
      #21999 - 09/29/03 04:57 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Hey I was just diagnosed with IBS-D about 2 weeks ago, and so I went to the doctor again this morning and I've lost 4 lbs in that two weeks!! I go to school all day and I can't eat anything there (unless...do you think those big soft pretzels are ok??), so I basically don't eat until I get home, and even then I don't eat too much because I'm unsure of what I cn and cannot eat. However, someone else here has posted that they had Spaghetti-o's for lunch. Is that alright?? my doctor said no pasta so i'd been thinking that I couldnt eat any of that stuff. I'M CONFUSED!! lol well thanks for reading this. I must sound pitiful lol

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: waaay too much weight loss new
      #22003 - 09/29/03 05:11 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi Jessica

It could be that your doc's trying you on a wheat/gluten free diet as part of a test for celiac disease. Was this it?

Have you mentioned Heather and her diet to your doc? It's a good idea to let your doc know about anything you're trying, so you don't get conflicting advice! Have you got IBS:The First Year? If you have, I'd take this with you to your next appointment.

When you're first diagnosed, you have to go through lots of tests to make sure that you have got IBS and not something else, so it may be a while until you can try to settle down and learn how to cope with your IBS.

However, eating the right foods regularly is crucial to control IBS, so unless you are on a restricted diet (e.g. wheat free to test for celiac), make sure you don't go without food for too long - and yes, all day is TOOOOO long! Also, losing weight very quickly is a stress on your body, so it could make your IBS worse.

I don't know about the fat content in Pretzels, but I find corn crackers a godsend (they're practically fat-free, but high in soluble fibre). Also rolls or fresh-bread sandwiches of maybe fish (tuna with low-fat mayo?), avocado, soy cheese, etc. I try and keep some soluble fibre foods with me whenever I go out, even if it's just plain bread rolls. Why don't you think about letting your principle/teachers know about your IBS, so they don't ball you out if you eat a cracker in class?

Hope this helps. Keep on posting!

Linz

#22006 - 09/29/03 05:29 PM
peaches

Yeah, I have a colonoscopy and a sigmoidoscopy soon and i'm gettin really really nervous!! From what's on this site, people have had bad experiences with it, and I don't know if I can get through the day. Well, I guess I'll just have to stick it out. What I would give for a slice of pizza...

--------------------

Tests new
      #22011 - 09/29/03 05:46 PM
Linz

There was a great post done on prep for a colonoscopy. Do a search for it. I really wish I'd had it when I had mine done! The sigmoidoscopy's not too bad - you get used to your doc having a FAR too intimate knowledge of your bum!

Btw, I soooo know what you mean about pizza!

Re: Tests new
      #22018 - 09/29/03 06:02 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Here is that past post on the colonoscopy prep: web page

Jessica - if your doc has you off of pasta to test for celiac, I don't know if pretzels are okay. Otherwise, pretzels are great staples for IBS. I eat the big soft ones all the time.

Do you know why your doc has you not eating pasta? Because unless you are being tested for celiac, pasta is a great soluble fiber staple for Eating for IBS.

#22133 - 09/30/03 05:12 PM
peaches

He said I can't eat it because of the tomato sauce. I'm ok with tomatoes since I eat Subway sandwiches all the time with tomato on them and I'm fine. So maybe it's a spice in it? Thanks for the post on the tests!

--------------------

#22135 - 09/30/03 05:24 PM
Linz

Try pasta with any other sauce then! There's some recipes on our fabulous updated Recipe Index. Look under main dishes.

I think tomato sauce is harder to tolerate than fresh tomatoes because it's basically concentrated, so there's more acid/fructose, etc in it.

Linz

#22226 - 10/01/03 01:27 PM
Olivia

Reged: 08/20/03
Loc: Detroit, Mi

Hi,

I have also lost a lot of weight (15lbs) and I think it is because I have cut out a lot of fat and dairy from my diet. Fortunately, I have found that I can eat a lot of foods that others can't in small porportions... tomato sauce and pizza included.

If you are in school consider bringing your lunch with applesauce, bannanas, hummus dip with pita or crusty breads and bagles. Cook chicken breasts at home the night before and throw that on a sandwich, baked chips, pasta salads and the like. Also check out Heathers books.

Basically, unless your doctor has restricted you from a specific item for a certian test, as others have mentioned, you have to test what you can eat. For example, I can eat pizza as long as it is not greasy (like pizza hut is), is thick crust and has really no fatty toppings and I have been taking my fiber supplements, and only eat it once a month.

In addition, my doctor recently put me on Librax. I take it a half hour before I eat and I have found that it has really opened up what I can eat without getting D. I don't know too much about it so I am going to post a question about it. I know some people don't like medications, but when I am sitting in a lunch meeting or giving a presentation, I can't run out to go to the bathroom, I am all for meds. Maybe talk to your doctor about it and see what she says since you are in school. But you need to look at the food lists on the website and consider bringing your lunch.

Good luck!
Olivia

#22231 - 10/01/03 02:06 PM
peaches

thanks everyone!! I have been eating a nice soft pretzel at lunch every day and that usually holds me over until I get home. I've also been drinking the FruitWorks drinks. I think those are ok, although it says on the bottle that it has high fructose corn syrup? It hasn't hurt me so far so I dont think it will. Does anyone else eat baby food for dessert? they're yummy!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 793 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1186

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review