Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Peptic Ulcer?
      #219784 - 10/17/05 06:15 AM
Jake

Reged: 07/13/05
Loc: CT

Hey everyone,

I have IBS-C, which I have been dealing with quite better in the past couple months. It only seems to flare up when I travel or are under heavy stress. I have figured out that its definitely anxiety related. So I went away this weekend, but on thursday I started off with this horrible stomach pain and it carried on through the weekend. I took pepto, anit-gas, anti-acid and nothing seemed to help. Then I talked about it with my GF about how it was anxiety and stress that was making it worse, so I tried to get my mind off it. It was still there, but I just didnt think about it as much. So now its Monday and its been 4 days of constant pain, sometimes debilitating. Im thinking maybe its something bigger like a peptic ulcer? Has anyone ever had a peptic ulcer? For me this pain is like a burning pain right under my ribcage/stomach area. I never get pain like this, I usually get constipated or diarrhea when i go somewhere, but never abdominal pain like this.

What should I do? I think I will call my doctor today and see if I can get in to go see him.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peptic Ulcer? new
      #219787 - 10/17/05 06:57 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yep, go see your doc.

Did you try Zantac? And you're not drinking peppermint or ginger tea are you?

#219799 - 10/17/05 07:32 AM
Jake

Does peppermint tea make it worse?

#219827 - 10/17/05 09:01 AM
Linz

Peppermint tea makes all reflux/acid problems worse, as does ginger. Plus, spicy foods, acidic foods (eg. tomato sauce), and drinking cold drinks.

#219850 - 10/17/05 10:23 AM
Jake

Dammit,

I just cant win! Well my doctor put me on some acid refulx meds for a week. Hopefully it makes the pain go away.

Could be that or gastritis new
      #219956 - 10/17/05 06:42 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I get gastritis bad. I've learned the hard way - NO ginger tea and NO peppermint at all. Or anything else overly acidic, till it gets under control. You may have to be scoped to be sure what you're dealing with but in the meantime prilosec is over the counter, though it did little good for me, needed aciphex to do the trick. Hope you feel better soon - this is the worst. Don't let your tummy get too empty either, makes it worse. GL!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Could be that or gastritis new
      #220422 - 10/20/05 06:50 AM
Jake

Can the doctor do the scope easily like at his office or is a whole operation type thing?

#220430 - 10/20/05 07:14 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I have this too! He's scheduling an endoscopy/colonoscopy and a gallbladder stress test as we speak. I hope they can get to the bottom of it because I can't eat!! I'm not happy when I can't eat!
Feel better soon!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#220441 - 10/20/05 07:38 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

When I had the endoscopy/colonoscopy(sp?)it was done in the hospital as an outpatient. Well worth it to KNOW what is going on down there. Don't put it off long, these things can be serious if ignored.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#220445 - 10/20/05 07:54 AM
Linz

Yep, you need to prep for a scope and then be sedated so it's not something the doc can do on the spur of the moment, but it is so worth it as there is no substitute for the doc actually looking at what's going on.

#220500 - 10/20/05 11:08 AM
britt98

Reged: 10/20/05

Jake,

I totaly know what your talking about. I have the same thing. The best way I have learned to control it is by never letting my stomach get completely empty. When its empty the acids in your stomach and asophagus mix and cause that burning. If is does start to burn, try eating some marshmallows, or plain rice. Even pretzels sometimes help. Stay away from spicey and salty when its bothering you. And when it acts up and there is nothing that is working I take a prescription medication that I seemed to have lost so I can't tell what the name of it is. sorry. Anyways, talk to your doctor about medications and see what he/she says. If you have any questions just write me!

britt

#220916 - 10/24/05 09:18 AM
Jake

Is the endoscopy painful? Im having one tommorow at 12 noon.

#221010 - 10/24/05 02:32 PM
Linz

For a gastroscopy, they'll sedate you so you won't feel a thing. You "might" have a bit of a sore throat afterwards or a bit of gas, but nothing major.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2777 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1692

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review