All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
non stop weight gain on this diet
      #219749 - 10/16/05 07:32 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Has anyone else had this problem? I am at the end of my rope. I used to eat an amazingly healthy, low-fat, diet, filled with fruits and veggies all day long. Of course I could barely breathe I was so sick and C 24/7- so much so that I never left the house but to go to work. Eating SF and as much soft white starch as possible has greatly helped, but now i'm almost as depressed at the weight I have gained and keep gaining. My body just doesn't respond well to this type of food. I'm 5'4' and have put on almost 12 pounds in less than a year. That is A LOT. There seems to be no answer. And I do work out everyday- real workouts. Any advice. I'm practically ready to go back to being C just to quit gaining weight. So frustrated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: non stop weight gain on this diet new
      #219767 - 10/16/05 09:09 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

There is a forum for weight issues that might help -- but I have lost nearly 60 pounds on this diet and I almost never work out.

You might want to head to the fitness & lifestyle board for some tips.

#219772 - 10/17/05 01:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You needto track your calorie input & output...I'd sugest fitday.com personally to help with that. There's no need to put on weight with this diet, you just need to learn a what's high calorie and what's not in a whole new set of foods.

#219930 - 10/17/05 04:36 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

You didn't stop eating fruits and veggies, did you? You need to keep eating them, but in an IBS-safe manner (chopped, cooked, with SF). You can also look into eating less sugar (even though it is blessedly safe) and getting more active, if those are applicable.

The good thing is that more fruits and veggies and exercise are very helpful for IBS-C!

--AC

#219933 - 10/17/05 05:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

applesauce, canned fruit, mushrooms! Make a omelet with egg beaters, spinach and lots of mushrooms and you will get less than 200 calories I think. Eat malto meal or cream of wheat for breakfast with light soy milk that comes to about 225. Mangoes are 50 or so I think and all these things are easy to digest. It just takes some planning and alterations to be safe but eat less calories. You can add back veggies and fruits as soon as possible. In fact for IBS-C you should still be eating lots of veggies! Try a sweet potato microwaved with smart balance light and salt and pepper.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#219953 - 10/17/05 06:30 PM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I am currently studying nutrition & dietetics and I am a health/fitness nut. Before I had problems with IBS, I also ate a lot of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I wouldn't touch a refined carbohydrate. Now, unfortunately, I have started eating much more refined carbohydrates because they are the safest things right now. I was concerned that I would gain weight, but I have just been very careful about portion size and overall calorie intake and so far have not gained anything. I think it is easy to overeat things like pasta, potatoes, rice, etc... so if you are going to eat them, measure out your portions so you only get one serving at a time. One low-calorie snack I've found is soy chips. I found some apple cinnamon and caramel flavored ones and they are awesome! Not to mention convenient, and a good source of protein.

--------------------
Kim

#220035 - 10/18/05 09:21 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I have to agree with those who have lost weight on this diet. Since May I've lost about 25 lbs and I just began walking daily. I do count calories and fats and stay in the 1200 cals range with 20-25% of that fats. My husband is diabetic and we have just recently (he was in denial that he had diabetes)started counting our carbs, 45-60 carbs x3 for meals and 15-30 carbs x2 for snacks. Good luck getting your weight back under control and it can be done on this safe diet.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Is it possible you needed to gain 12 lbs? new
      #220060 - 10/18/05 10:28 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

This is an honest question because when I eat in a way that makes me FEEL better, I put weight back on that - when I got honest with myself - NEEDED to come back on to get me to a healthy weight for my height/frame. Just wondering?

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#220144 - 10/18/05 02:38 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

I personally believe this is because of what you were previously consuming, healthy foods right? The thing about the human body, is that if we are on a simple or strict diet and then suddenly change our diet to something completely different (foods containiing different types of nutrients, etc) then our metabolism and our bodies need to adjust.
I actually lost weight during the diet, the first days especially, but that is probably because I ate some of the foods included in the diet regularly. I think you should of just slowed down. You shouldn't drastically change the type of foods you eat. It could mildly shock your system. Our complex nervous system causes our bodies to be complicated anyway, and everyone's digestive system is sensitive. I think ours are overly sensitive.

--------------------
IBS-C

#220507 - 10/20/05 11:31 AM
britt98

Reged: 10/20/05

After starting the diet I actually lost about 35 pounds in less than a year. The only way I tend to gain any weight is if i've been eating foods with a lot of sugar. like cotton candy.lol. I'm a sucker for cotton candy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3851 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1678

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review