All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help!! I'm new!!
      #219119 - 10/12/05 10:01 AM
Bridget13

Reged: 10/12/05

I am new to this website and message board. My IBS is getting out of control!!!! I actually had to call out sick today from work because it is so bad. I have IBS with constipation and have had it since I was about 11 or so--I am now 28. Where the heck do I begin? I have read through the website but I feel a little overwhelmed by all of the info. Can anyone give me pointers on where would be a good place to start with all of this info. My husband and I are talking about starting to try and get pregnant in the next few months and I really need to get this under control.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help!! I'm new!! new
      #219120 - 10/12/05 10:04 AM
tcollins

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Mississippi, USA

Hi,
I have read alot of good information from this site. You might want to start with your diet. The site has some really good information about diets and what you should avoid.

Terry

#219126 - 10/12/05 11:19 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome to the boards! I also have IBS C and I'm newly pregnant!! I went though a lot of fertility treatments to get here but it was worth it! Anyway, yes, start with the diet. It may be a little confusing but the general gist is low-fat, non-dairy, nothing greasy, no carbonation or coffee. You need to have soluble fiber at every meal (french bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, that kinda thing) and with the C, you need to be sure your also getting enough insoluble fiber (pickles, veggies, fruits) Heather has the whole list for both foods, so read through the whole web site! Also, try a SFS (soluble fiber supplement) like Heathers Acacia, metamucil or benefiber. With IBS C, the trick is too find the right combination of soluble fiber and insoluble fiber foods!

If you are thinking about TTC you need to get on a pre-natal vit! They contain a lot of iron and can make some people's C even worse! Be sure to tell your OBGYN that you are prone to C and he can give you one that also has a mild stool softner in it too help!

People with C need a lot of water. The longer the stool sits in the colon, the more the water is absorb from it, the harder the stool gets and the harder it is to pass! Also, be sure to get some exercise, even walking after meals will help! If all else fails, ask your doctor about Miralax. Its a prescription osmotic laxative. It works by pulling water into your colon, no harsh chemicals! It IS safe during pregnancy. Your body does have the chance of becoming dependant on it but I was at my witts end and just wanted to poop, so my dr put me on it about 4 years ago or so!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#219130 - 10/12/05 11:32 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Hey there, I'm new too. As far as missing work, don't fret, you are not the first. I missed plenty of work myself from this. Have you had a colonoscopy? Do you have a Gastro doc? If not, get one. This will help you see where you'r at w/ IBS. In the meantime, try a fiber supplement, like Metamucill, or Citricel. I took it twice a day, & it helped until I could get checked out. Also, cut out the caffeine, & drink plenty of water, your bowel needs it, like 8-10 glasses a day. It will take some getting used to but, also try to up some of your veggies, SLOWLY! I've been IBS-Constipated for 14 yrs, but now I'm pretty stable. Any other questions, my email is kee743@hotmail.com Kee

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#219141 - 10/12/05 12:45 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome to the Boards.

All the information you need really is available for free right on the Website - click on "IBS Diet & Recipes" in the column to the left to dive in. However, if you're like me and do better with information laid out in a step by step fashion, you could look for Heather's book "The First Year: IBS". It might be easier to absorb than the Website and it neatly lays out everything you need to know: what IBS is, what you need to be tested for before being diagnosed, how to modify your diet, why you should take an SFS, managing stress, alternative treatments, what prescription drugs are available. Your local library might have a copy of "The First Year" or you can buy it from this Website or from Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I agree with Sand! new
      #219167 - 10/12/05 02:08 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I found the book so helpful...plus you can annotate it and stick post-its all over it!

Colored highlighters! -nt- new
      #219176 - 10/12/05 02:35 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 592

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review