All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
From stable to mildly instable, where did I go wrong?
      #218316 - 10/08/05 12:58 PM
professor

Reged: 07/19/05
Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

For those of you who don't know my story. I had my first major IBS crisis in july this summer. Got out of it thanks to Heather's diet and the good counsel on this site. August and september were great months, I was a 100% stable. Following Heather's guidelines. In the last two weeks, my tummy's started to act up again. Last night, I had my first colon spasms in two month. This afternoon after lunch, I had another pre-d attack (little pieces of semi-firm stool). It's true that I have been experimenting with a lot of new soy product recently (soy cheese, soy ice cream, soy chips). I've been trying to pinpoint the culprit...
In the last two days, i've been trying to reduce fat cause' I think it's responsible.

I have been eating oatmeal cereal with vitasoy vanilla milk for the last two month without any problem. But everytime I take it in last two days, it gives me mild spasms right after. Last night I got a super safe dinner (Boiled white chicken meat, potatoe, carrots). I added a new product, a mango-ginger chutney. It was very spicy, could it be that?

I've also notice I've gain 10 pounds in the last month! Before my IBS crisis this summer, I was 185. When I started the diet two month ago, I was 160. I went from 160 to 170 in the last month. I think i've been increasing my amount of fat without knowing it. The tofu and soy product can be very high fat sometimes. Either that or I developed an intolerance to soy already? Maybe i'm just plain tired... But I would go for the fat increased plus lots of stress hypothesis.

Anyway, anybody know any low fat soy product I can buy in Canada?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: From stable to mildly instable, where did I go wrong? new
      #218335 - 10/08/05 04:04 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, I think you're on the right track. The soy products, and the fat they contain, could be the culprit. I wouldn't rule out soy altogether, though - or even the products you're using right now - just ease up on them a little, and give your body time to really adjust to them. And yes, if you can find lower-fat versions of some products, that would be helpful, but I know I've never seen low-fat versions of things like soy cheese or soy ice cream, for example.

And, as you pointed out, stress can definitely be a culprit - if you're under more than usual, that could be contributing as well.

You have a good handle on the fundamentals of the diet and what else can cause problems, and I'm sure you'll figure out the root of your de-stabilizing and get back to normal in no time. It's always a bummer when it happens, though. Hope you feel better quickly!

#218367 - 10/08/05 09:15 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I started having more symptoms as I consumed more pre-packaged soy foods, like soy ice cream, soy milk, soy cheese, soy mac & cheese, etc. I think for me it was just too much casein (a milk protein) and, possibly, carrageenan. You might want to start by just cutting out the soy products that contain casein and see if you get any improvement.

What are the ingredients in your Vitasoy Vanilla Milk? They recently added a new Vitasoy beverage, Viatsoy Complete, I believe, that contains a higher amount of fiber. Also, as Casey said check the fat content--especially with those soy cheeses and soy ice creams.

I hope this little flare-up resolves itself quickly.

Re: From stable to mildly instable, where did I go wrong?...Stay away from Yves Veggies! new
      #219872 - 10/17/05 11:35 AM
professor

Reged: 07/19/05
Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Two weeks ago, I was able to quickly stablelized by cutting down on the soy ice cream and switching from regular to light soy milk. I think I had too much soy too fast, so I started to take beano and it help.

Last night, I tried a new product: Yves Veggies soy package that imitates meat, wasn't sure about all the content. Today, I had a sneaky semi-D attack at work after lunch, with a little bit of twitching and cramping before. I'm quite sure it's the new product that's responsible for what happen. Boy, these soy product are tough to choose!!!!

Anyway, thanks for all the good advice.

Re: From stable to mildly instable, where did I go wrong?...Stay away from Yves Veggies! new
      #219896 - 10/17/05 01:16 PM
stillpoochibelly

Reged: 10/17/05

I don't do soy products at all...occasional tofu doesn't hurt but soy milk etc. don't work for me.

#219916 - 10/17/05 02:06 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm a D and honestly, I note that on days I consume anything processed/packaged I am highly attack vulnerable!

Soy foods are rather suspect and well...I think you need to ease into you're body adapting to their uses. Soy products often contain gums that throw some bodies for a loop.

Maria mentioned carrageenan and casein, but some of the flavourings could also be causing the flare, as well as the fat content. Soy is a legume/bean after all! It's fiber!
A different set of ENZYMES are required to digest soy. I take enzyme pills and they are highly effective if I'm consuming soy, especially if it contains a 'gum' or carrageenan.

There's also the fat issue.

The best carrageenan-free soy product/milk I've used is Natur-a soy milk. It's available in Canada. (I'm Canadian)
So Nice natural is also carrageenan free--add your own cocoa or vanilla. Actually, it's rather good! Note: it has 4 g of fat, so be sure you have an sf base!!! Carrageenan, or irish moss, is a seeweed and well...seeweed makes me go whether its used as a stabilizer or in sushi! It's a source of glutamine or glutamate and a 'stabilizer'/'emulsifier' to which some people react.

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (10/17/05 02:06 PM)

#219920 - 10/17/05 03:18 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i wouldn't necessarily say that the yves products should be avoided by everyone - i've had them with no ill effects (though in terms of fake meats, i think smart deli's taste much, much better). they're very low-fat or fat free, and i've been eating fake deli meats for years without any problems. they might be bothering you, but they might not, and they're definitely not a sure trigger for everyone.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

I eat Yves penne and lasagna a lot and have never had a problem -nt- new
      #219944 - 10/17/05 06:19 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Some info. new
      #219977 - 10/17/05 08:44 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I think you're problem might be either with the fat and/or the carageenan. I dug up something interesting that you might want to take a peak at. See: www.notmilk.com/carageenan.html
Actually, www.notmilk.com is a great site, in general!

Truly, I know for me, carageenan triggers attacks. Try So Nice Natural soy milk, or Natur-soy milk--Natur-a has a 'light' variety that is delicious! It's the fat equivalent of 1 percent milk, if that helps. Cultured soy products are generally carageenan-free, i.e. soy yogurt. Also, don't forget that Rice Dream is carageenan free.

Kate.

Edited by Wind (10/18/05 04:50 AM)

Thanks for the info Wind new
      #220043 - 10/18/05 09:44 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

This is exactly why I avoid anything with Carageenan in it. (Just to be safe as I don't even know what bothers me). I read studies that indicated that it caused stomach cramps and spasms. I never by deli meat or any product that contains this thickener. It's in a lot of stuff that is milk free, (and even other foods) so it cuts out a lot!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6601 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1104

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review