All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'm wondering why Squeeze Parkay margarine wouldn't be ok for IBS.......
      #217801 - 10/06/05 11:02 AM
maggiejr

Reged: 10/03/05

It's made from soybean oil and there is no dairy that I can find in the ingredients. Seems that a good-tasting (and affordable!) margarine would be pretty important, with all that rice and potatoes in the diet. My poor mom nearly went nuts trying to eat potatoes and rice without butter or margarine! (She didn't have any of the recommended margarines, which I have since told her about.)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Parkay Light looks okay, can't find Parkay Squeeze ingredients. (more) new
      #217808 - 10/06/05 11:36 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I can't find a list of ingredients for Squeeze Parkay margarine on-line. (In general, if you want opinions on whether a product is okay, it's best to either list all the ingredients in your post or provide a link to a Website with the ingredients.

I did find this page that gives the ingredients for Parkay Light (and other dairy-free margarines:

Quote:

Water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, emulsifiers (soy lecithin, vegetable monoglycerides), xanthan gum, preservatives (potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate), artificial flavor, vitamin A palmitate, colored with beta carotene (a source of vitamin A).

If - big if - this is accurate, I don't see anything in there that would be a problem. If no one else does, either, we may just have discovered another IBS-safe supermarket margarine. Hurray!

Parkay Squeeze must have different ingredients, so you will still need to check the Parkay Squeeze for dairy derivatives - not just milk - and MSG. Some IBSers are sensitive to these, some seem able to tolerate trace amounts of either or both. Here are a couple of lists that should help:

Other names for MSG (courtesy of Waverider)
Hidden dairy

BTW, the home page for page that gives the Parkay Ingredients is NoMilk. They have zillions of links to dairy free pages. I haven't checked them out, but they might be useful for finding dairy-free products.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Squeeze Parkay ingredients: see message new
      #218021 - 10/07/05 08:55 AM
maggiejr

liquid soybean oil, water, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, vegetable monoglycerides and soy lecithin (emulsifiers), potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate (to preserve freshness), artificial flavor, phosphoric acid (acidulant), colored with beta carotene, vitamin A palmitate.

What do you guys think? It also says no trans fats. This is the main reason I use it...my kids eat a lot of things that need butter on them!

just bumping up new
      #218056 - 10/07/05 10:46 AM
maggiejr

Hmmm, where does it say it's not? new
      #218059 - 10/07/05 10:49 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And btw, your Mom should be careful with stuff like this b/c it's fat...I find low-fat mayo ALOT safer on potatoes. And she certainly shouldn't have this if she's on BTC IMHO, but that's only for 3 days anyway.

margarine new
      #218138 - 10/07/05 02:50 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yeah there are some safe cheap margarines at the store. Like Linz says why did you think it wasn't safe? But you do have to watch total fat. Smart Balance is best IMO. It is low in fat and has nothing bad in it. It also has good oils. Actually having that kind of thing is good for C since we all need some fat! But a little has to go a long way.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: margarine *DELETED* new
      #218169 - 10/07/05 07:29 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Smart Balance and soy new
      #218243 - 10/08/05 09:12 AM
Sand

Both the Smart Balance and the Smart Balance Light contain soybean oil. You can check out all the Smart Balance products here.

I really like Websites that actually list ingredients.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

List of safe foods (m) new
      #218254 - 10/08/05 09:36 AM
Sand

Just because Parkay is not in the list of safe foods in the sticky post at the top of this Board doesn't mean it's automatically unsafe. The sticky post doesn't show ALL safe foods, just ones that people have tracked down, investigated, and reported.

Conversely, even if something IS in the list of safe foods, you should still read the label. For one thing, manufacturers change ingredient lists, so a product that was once safe can become unsafe. Also, people do make mistakes. As you probably noticed from the lists I gave you, it can be tricky to figure out whether a product actually contains some form of MSG or a dairy derivative.

That said, there's certainly no harm in double-checking, particularly if you're new to the whole ingredient-reading thing. And if you do find products that look IBS-safe, I for one would love to hear about them.

--------------------

Another note about safe foods list new
      #218256 - 10/08/05 09:46 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Since all of our IBS bodies are different -- the safe foods lists can't be a total guarantee for all of us. Oatmeal - for example - agrees with 95% of IBS people -- but some can't tolerate it. So -- it's an excellent starting place -- but you may still have to experiment with your own tolerances.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 781 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2850

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review