All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics
      #217722 - 10/06/05 05:10 AM
meja

Reged: 01/09/04

I have been hearing so much about probiotics. Has anyone had success with this? Can you get it through foods? What supplements have been tried? I have recently tried Restore which is distributed through Advocare. It caused alot of cramping for me so I think there was something additional in the supplement? I would appreciate some feedback on this because it is something that sounds like it could make a difference.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Try live soy yogurt - nt new
      #217854 - 10/06/05 01:45 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi! new
      #218393 - 10/08/05 11:55 PM
Proud new Teacher

Reged: 09/22/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

It makes a huge difference for me. I have three of them a day, all at once, in the morning, with food. I have it with a minimum of 6 billion live cells per pill. it makes a differnce in pain, bloating AND gas. It takes about 2 weeks to kick in, and it made my gas and bloating worse at first, so take an anti-gas with it. once you're on it for a while though, you'll notice you burp a lot less and tolerate a lot more. it also took me from lots of days of D to quite a few days of just normal poop. I still get a bit of C but it's much more stable than before.

--------------------
Shannon the teacher` I'm an A, but more of a C these days.:}

Re: Probiotics new
      #218414 - 10/09/05 05:57 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Make sure your probiotic doesn't have anything bad listed in the ingredients. Some of them will "feed" them things that would be bad for us. You can list the ingredients here and we can see if we spot something that looks suspect.

Re: Hi! new
      #218418 - 10/09/05 06:44 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I have been on Culturelle that you buy at Walgreens for over a month and it hasn't done anything for me except give me more gas!!! Alot more gas, not just a little!!! I think they have whey in them. So, I stopped using it. I'm trying to find a different one that doesn't have dairy in them.
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Shanon, what is the name of this again? new
      #218421 - 10/09/05 06:57 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I think it was only available in Canada though. I don't think the ship internationally since it needs to be refrigerated. I would really like to try this one though!

Can you post a website for it?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I take FloraSmart...works for me! new
      #218477 - 10/09/05 11:33 AM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

I get it at the health food store. It's the second probiotic I've tried. It's stronger than the first one and took a few weeks to get used to, but now I'm ok with it.

website for Culturelle new
      #218539 - 10/09/05 07:18 PM
Augie

Here's the FAQ on the dairy issue. Culturelle

--------------------
~ Beth

Hey Beth! Yea, I think it's the whey that isn't agreeing with me... new
      #218544 - 10/09/05 07:25 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

What do you think?? It's not helping with my bloating at all.

I noticed today that when I ate pasta I did not get bloated, but when I ate bagels, I got miserably bloated!!!!! So, I think I will cut out the bagels and keep the pasta for a few more days and see what happens. I'm going back to the doctor. I have some serious upper digestive issues that may not be related to my IBS. It may be gall stones because I have been getting nauseous way too much, lately, and when I went back through Heather's website she says that vomiting is not really IBS related. I don't throw up but I sure do feel like I'm going to alot, lately. Just about everytime I eat!.....
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

I, personally, think it is safe new
      #218555 - 10/09/05 07:47 PM
Augie

it made it through the ELISA test. Did you read this "To test for the presence of dairy proteins (casein and whey), CulturelleŽ has been submitted to FARRP, an internationally known food allergy research program for an enzyme-linked immuno sorbent assay (ELISA). The casein and whey content of CulturelleŽ is each less than 15 ppm."

Did you also read this part " What are the side effects of taking CulturelleŽ?

There are generally no side effects. In the clinical studies, about 2% of the participants reported feeling some bloating and gas for a few days. This side effect is normal and should subside as your intestinal tract adjusts to the good bacteria."

I don't know if the dairy is bothering you or not. The product helped me, but we are all different. Just know that I would never have recommended something to you that I thought was not safe. I just know it worked for me, personally. I got an email from Jen and it's helping her too, she thinks. At least I was able to help one person!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 707 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1231

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review