All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
having a sigmoidoscopy on tues
      #21693 - 09/25/03 06:19 AM
laina

Reged: 09/20/03

hi everyone, well i am having a sigmoidoscopy on tues and am a little confused and nervous. my friends and family are telling me that i should tell my gi that i should have a colonoscopy to be on the safe side. to start the reason i am having this done is because recently i have had some blood scares, he feels that it is not neccesary for me to have a colonosopy because at my age 27 it is common for cancer. i don't know what i should do, i feel like he knows what he is talking about but on the other hand i have 3 children and don't want to take any risks. need some suggestions please

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: having a sigmoidoscopy on tues new
      #21699 - 09/25/03 08:32 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I also had a sigmoidoscopy done instead of a colonoscopy. I was also having blood problems and my doctor told me that the blood was most likely coming from the lowest part of my digestive system (around the rectal area). I'm pretty sure that the sigmoidoscopy doesn't go as far up as the colonoscopy. If you're still concerned, definately talk to your doctor or perhaps get a second opinion.

Ask the doctor if you can watch the monitor with him. I did and it took my mind a little off the uncomfortableness because I was distracted. And how many people can say they've seen the inside of their digestive system?

--------------------
- Jennifer

#21751 - 09/26/03 06:42 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi Laina

My doc did a sigmoidoscopy first and then a colonoscopy later. Why don't you wait and see what they find with the sigmoid. and then if you're still worried, ask to have a colonoscopy?

Btw, a colonoscopy is a much bigger deal than a sigmoidoscopy, so maybe your doctor just doesn't want to put you through the extra stress if it isn't neccessary.

Keep an eye out for blood tho - getting this regularly is not a good thing, although occasionally seems to be par for the course with bad IBS.

Chin up!

Linz

#21787 - 09/26/03 05:03 PM
laina

Reged: 09/20/03

thanks guys, its nice to hear from someone who has had it done. i am going through with the sig, doc said it is because he doesn't feel colon is necessary right now, i am so scared still, i still have to get use to eating right let alone this. i just want to feel better!

#21793 - 09/26/03 06:52 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

what is a sig... nt?

#21795 - 09/26/03 07:20 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

If you are feeling uneasy or unsure about I think it would be best if you either got a second opinion or at least spoke to your current Doc about having a Colonoscopy.

If you are anything like me, once that seed of doubt has beenplanted it starts to play on your mind so it's probably better to put your mind at ease.

Good luck,

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#21806 - 09/26/03 08:09 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

I had one done too. The test was easier then the prepping for it. I also watched it one the screen. It help take my mind off what was happening. I would do the sigmoidoscopy first and if necessary then do the colonoscopy. I too had some bleeding and they found it was caused by hemmoriods inside my intestines.

Karen

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5771 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 710

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review