All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Attacks triggered by anxiety- need a counselor!
      #216028 - 09/26/05 08:17 PM
cheval

Reged: 09/09/05
Loc: Western Washington

Hey everyone! My D has gotten alot better since beginning Heather's diet. However, I'm still having attacks about once a week. It would be more often if I didn't take Immodium after my first weekly attack. I've realized that I don't really get sick from food anymore (unless I eat something totally wretched like curly fries, heh) but if I have to be somewhere in the morning (like SCHOOL, for pete's sake), I'm guaranteed to be stuck in the bathroom for about an hour and a half. Now I'm starting to have full blown sweating panic attacks once I'm on campus, hurrah.
So, I'm thinking if I can find a way to deal with this anxiety doo-doo, I may be able to function somewhat normally and actually get a regular 9-5 job AND go to night school after I graduate (need to get some certification!). That's my goal.
I'd like to see a counselor/therapist and wondered if anyone could recommend somebody in Western Washington. Are therapists generally familiar with IBS, in your experience? Lastly, I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but has anyone had a notable reduction in IBS attacks after dealing with thier anxiety?
Thanks in advance!

--------------------
*IBS-D*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Attacks triggered by anxiety- need a counselor! new
      #216072 - 09/27/05 08:26 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

As far as finding a therapist in your area, you might take a look at this post and then follow the hyperlinks to the page on hypnotherapy for IBS and to how to find a qualified therapist and eventually you get to hyperlinks for US and UK listed IBS hypnotherapists. I haven't tried hypnotherapy, but some people swear by it. Also, the therapists listed as IBS hypnotherapists might do more traditional therapy if that's what you want and if they don't they might be able to refer you to someone who does.

As for your other questions, I have a wonderful therapist (MSW) who is utterly clueless about IBS. And my causality worked the other way - after I got my IBS under control (Heather's diet, lots of SFS, Imodium, Donnatol), my anxiety attacks disappeared.

BTW, if using Imodium helps stop your attacks, you might consider taking it daily as a preventive measure for a while. You can Search the Diet Board for Imodium (also try Immodium) and see what people have said about this.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#216135 - 09/27/05 11:04 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

As far as finding a therapist in your area, you might take a look at this post and then follow the hyperlinks to the page on hypnotherapy for IBS and to how to find a qualified therapist and eventually you get to hyperlinks for US and UK listed IBS hypnotherapists.

Or you could buy the hypnotherapy CDs and do it yourself. Also, if you are in school, you might be able to get free or cheap therapy there. I made use of this in grad school and it helped me loads (non-IBS issues then...).

--AC

#216141 - 09/27/05 11:13 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

Chaval is a beautiful name...what is the origin?!

About anxiety...I did the hypno tapes 3 times! And not much doing....BECAUSE I have SEVERE anxiety as well as bipolar and OCD. I need meds to live at my best. SO...if you have panic attacks like you mentioned...I say see a psychiatrist as WELL AS a therapist to get it all sorted out. Now I'm on a med for bipolar that WAS making me C so I am back to Heather's diet as much as possible (I have IC and fibro so I am on diets for those as well), and I take lots of mag. malate and I'm doing ok.

You are NOT alone *hugs* Panic attacks are def. more prevelant than once thought...

Sending you lots of wellness and light!

Ruch

P.S. On finding someone in your area...if you have insurance call your insurance co. I have gone to MANY therapists through word of mouth...but the best I ever found was through my insurance co. and I LOVE HER!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#216395 - 09/28/05 01:45 PM
cheval

Reged: 09/09/05
Loc: Western Washington

Thanks for the help! I did the Hypno tapes about six months ago (well, almost got through the whole series anyway) and they helped quite a bit. I began it over again about two weeks ago. I really think they're a great aid to dealing with the mental part of the disorder. I think changing your diet only gets you half-way to better, you know? My brain is used to being paranoid about getting an attack away from home and it's a tough cycle to break, I guess.
Cheval is French (?) or something like that for "horse". I've loved horses since I was a child and thought it would be a pretty screen name. Glad you agree!
I'm kind of wary about getting on meds for anxiety but I think I should just do it and see what happens. Could be a vast improvement!
Thanks again for your advice and have a wonderful day!

--------------------
*IBS-D*

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3662 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 774

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review