All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How can I stop an IBS attack?
      #215991 - 09/26/05 03:20 PM
vick722

Reged: 09/26/05

Hi, I'm new to the board. What's the quickest way to stop an IBS attack? I've spent most of today in "production" in the bathroom (this is embarrassing, but it's what this board is here for, right?). If I make sure to have some oregano with my dinner, will that help? I have to tell you that I don't really like herbal teas all that much, and I really hate anything that tastes like licorice. I'm not too crazy about peppermint, either (though I might be able to deal with that). I do really like oregano, though, and carroway seeds are good. Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How can I stop an IBS attack? new
      #216001 - 09/26/05 04:45 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hi there! Oregano isn't going to do a thing for ya. For a quick fix, try some imodium, if you haven't already. For the long run, I really recommend following the IBS diet, as outlined on this site. It's been a lifesaver for a lot of us - I don't even have to buy OTC tummy meds anymore!

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/

#216005 - 09/26/05 05:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

When you say oregano do you mean fennel? Fennel helps with bloat. Peppermint capsules will halt my cramps and gurgles if I take a couple and lay down.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#216036 - 09/26/05 11:02 PM
vick722

Thank you -- yes, I've used Immodium in the past, but I don't think of doing that -- also, I'd rather not resort to a drug if I don't have to -- I don't want to get sent from one extreme to another. As for the oregano, Heather has that listed, along with fennel, peppermint, and carroway seeds, as helping the system get "back on track." I tried to eat things that were fairly mild tonight, and that seemed to help. Also, I'm now trying acidophilis (sorry, spelling probably wrong, but I'm too tired to go look).

Just out of curiosity, what's with the bat and the vampire kitty?

Thanks again.

#216038 - 09/26/05 11:05 PM
vick722

Thank you. How do peppermint capsules taste (if at all), and are they expensive?

By the way, I *did* mean oregano -- Heather mentions that, along with fennel, peppermint, carroway seeds, ginger tea, etc.

Halloween's coming! -nt- new
      #216042 - 09/27/05 04:35 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

#216231 - 09/27/05 08:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The peppermint capsules have no taste but can cause trouble for people with bad acid reflux. I have never had a peppermint burp from them. here is the order page 2 bottles have lasted me over a year at least. The peppermint tea is good too, but the caps are so concentrated they work better for me for upcoming attacks.
I don't remember reading about oregano. I have never heard it has good GI healing properties. Generally peppermint is best for cramping and pain, fennel for bloating, ginger for nausea, chamomile for calming.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3017 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 993

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review