All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Coca Cola
      #215768 - 09/25/05 05:49 PM

Unregistered

Hi Guys,

I've had IBS ever since I can remember. When I was born I had colic and I believe it has morphed into IBS-C. Anyway, I absolutely LOVE Coca Cola Classic and since I've been reading this website I've given it up because I finally had to face the realization that it causes me gas and tummy cramps as well. <SIGH> You have no idea how much I am dreaming of the taste of a tall iced glass of it dancing across my taste buds right now as I watch my boyfriend Chris drinking his Coke.

About a year ago, I had begun taking Oxypowder every other night, as well as Omnigest EZ I no longer suffer from the C and no longer have gas or bloating, so I was wondering whether or not you think I should chance a glass of Coke.

I hope you all are having a good Sunday both mentally and physically, my dear IBS group.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Coca Cola *DELETED* new
      #215798 - 09/25/05 08:06 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Don't do it! new
      #215816 - 09/26/05 03:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Such a bad idea...coca cola is so bad for you anyway, it's no wonder it's a major IBS trigger. And it's NOT worth the pain.

Re: Coca Cola new
      #215822 - 09/26/05 05:15 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Believe me, as a veteran of the "New Coke" wars, I know exactly how badly you'd like a Coca-Cola Classic. Like you, however, I was forced to realize that Coke was a big-time problem for my IBS.

Now for my confession: I very, very occasionally manage a Coke, so it may be possible you can tolerate one from time to time, although almost certainly not regularly or frequently. I have some warnings, though:
- I'm IBS-D, not C.
- I never have it on an empty stomach, always after a meal and with something like pretzels.
- Sometimes it doesn't bother me, but sometimes it does, so if you're going to chance it make sure you are ready to be incapacitated for however long your attacks last.
- I didn't even attempt this until I had been on Heather's diet for months and was very stable.
- Now for the really bad news: After being off Coke for so long, the last couple of times I've had one, it didn't really taste that good. Sigh.

Most of the time when I want a Coke, I have iced tea instead. I brew it from Honeybush tea and add lots of sugar. It's really good and the sugar provides some of the "lift" I get from Coke.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Coca Cola new
      #215905 - 09/26/05 10:41 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I feel your pain! I have the biggest weakness for Cherry Coke from a fountain. The sad thing is that even if you cave in, it will probably taste like crap to you. Sometimes I get really desperate and sneak a sip from my husband's soda. It doesn't even taste that good. It's just this sugary syrupy stuff with a weird aftertaste. But my mind remembers how much I loved it, so I still can't break the idea that I want to go drink Coke again.

Has anyone bought soda extracts before? The ingredients for the root beer seemed safe, so I bought it intending to see how yucky root beer would taste if I made it with plain table sugar and non-carbonated water. I haven't done so yet. If nothing I could pour it over vanilla soy ice cream. I can't find an ingredient list for the other flavors of extracts, though, so I don't know what's in the cola or cherry cola.

I've tried some of the few health sodas out there that have safe ingredients -- including no carbonated water -- and the ones I've tried have been nasty. The cola one I tried tasted like ketchup, which was very disorienting and very disgusting.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Do you guys think... new
      #215907 - 09/26/05 10:44 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

the oxypowder is safe for long term? I know the website says yes, but they want people to buy the product! What's the real deal? I'm ready to try anything, as long as it is safe.

Where do you buy it from?

For Badthing...the oxypowder link you provided says to drink water, and to avoid anything carbonated.

That sounds nasty!! -nt- new
      #215960 - 09/26/05 01:06 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1555 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1490

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review