All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Omega 3
      #215626 - 09/24/05 07:06 PM
CindyG.

Reged: 01/26/05
Loc: Mississippi

Hi, I am looking into taking an Omega-3 supplement. But all the ones I have seen the pills are HUGE.. there is no way I could swallow them. I have a hard time with pills anyway.
Do any of you have any recommedations for a namebrand of pills that would have a smaller pill.??
Also, are any of you taking an Omega-3 supplement.. if so have you had any luck?

Thanks
Cindy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Omega 3 new
      #215649 - 09/25/05 06:11 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I added an Omega 3 supplement late in the game...actually it was the last supplement I added (I'm a C) and I now take an Omega blend - suggested by the health food store based on my normal diet - from NOW. Because it's a liquid, it is in a large capsule, but I know this same company sells it in liquid form you can take by the spoonfull. I think that would be your only option if you can't swallow large pills. I have never seen an oil supplement in capsule form that wasn't kind of large.

I take one at each meal, and I think it has helped me. It has become part of my longterm supplement regieme. Hope this helps.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#215799 - 09/25/05 08:09 PM
heavenlee

Reged: 01/13/04

I keep hearing good things about Omega 3 fish oils, but thought that we cant take it because it is oil.

Does anyone take these supplements and do they cause a flare up? If you do take them, what brand do you think is the most safe?

#215855 - 09/26/05 08:30 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I take a couple of fish oil capsules every morning with my acacia (1 heaping tablespoon in water) and multivitamin. Even though the capsules are big, they're way easier for me to swallow than the multivitamin for some reason. I think I feel more stable when I take these.

Now for the fine print: I'm IBS-C, so I'm not quite as fat-sensitive as some IBS-D'ers. While I get no side effects at all from them, my iron-bellied husband got fish burps when he tried them. Oh, and I'm not really taking them for my IBS - I have dry bumpy skin and it helps with that.

--AC

AC? new
      #215858 - 09/26/05 08:38 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Don't you take a magnesium supplement too? If so what kind and how much?

Also, is your fish oil capsule a mixture of 3-6-9?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: dry bumpy skin new
      #215859 - 09/26/05 08:40 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

do you mean keratosis pilaris? that's the goose bumpy-looking dry skin, usually on the backs of your arms, though other places, too.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

bump - still curious -nt- new
      #216259 - 09/28/05 07:40 AM
jaime g

--------------------
jaime

#216293 - 09/28/05 09:03 AM
AstroChick

Quote:

do you mean keratosis pilaris? that's the goose bumpy-looking dry skin, usually on the backs of your arms, though other places, too.

Precisely! I've had it forever, although the fish oils have gotten it off of my face and butt. I think I'd have to have a fish-oil IV to get it off of my upper arms and thighs.

--AC

Re: AC? new
      #216295 - 09/28/05 09:07 AM
AstroChick

I take a Cal-Mag supplement (1 tablet = 500/250 mg, I believe) and have some Ca and Mg in my multivitamin.

This is my fish oil. It's nothing fancy.

--AC

I take them... new
      #216299 - 09/28/05 09:13 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

as long as I eat them with food I do fine. My skin looks better and I think they and the acidophilus I take helps my "C".

If you want to know the brand, e-mail me at emailrachelk@yahoo.com. I don't check that e-mail often but I will respond.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#216316 - 09/28/05 10:04 AM
jaime g

hot damn! i've got it on my cheeks, under my chin, and on my arms, legs, the sides of my torso... it's crazy. not as bad as when i was younger, though. my sister has it, too. i'm religious about moisturizing, but it doesn't help much. in high school a dermatologist put me on lacticare, which helped, but it felt so gross, and has steroids - it's the only thing that's ever worked, though washing with cetaphil rather than soap or body wash does make it a little softer.

do you just take the regular supplement dose with the fish oils? i'm a vegetarian, but i think i've seen veggie omegas at whole foods. this is very exciting. how long did it take to see results? and did it help on the tougher areas, even if it didn't go away?

--------------------
jaime

#216321 - 09/28/05 10:15 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

You can buy a brand by the name of Nordic Naturals that have a chewable tablet that taste like strawberry. Seriously...my 5 yr old daughter LOVES them. Also, they have a liquid that tastes like peach if you are squeamish about pills. They are tested for purity and you won't get that "fish burp." (That comes from rancid oils in the capsules) They can be bought through the Vitamin Shoppe.com for pretty cheap. Hope this helps!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

ls this the citrate form of Cal/Mag? new
      #216326 - 09/28/05 10:20 AM
Augie

How many do you take per day?

--------------------
~ Beth

vegetarian omega 3 new
      #216341 - 09/28/05 11:20 AM
jaime g

anyone know if this exists? my dad said something about flaxseed oil as a vegetarian alternative to the fish stuff, but he gets all sorts of crazy ideas. (his gf works for solgar, so i'm trying to see if they can hook me up, so i don't have to continue signing my paychecks over to whole foods.)

--------------------
jaime

Re: vegetarian omega 3 new
      #216369 - 09/28/05 12:28 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I am fairly certain that there is. Try searching for Borage Oil, Evening Primrose Oil and Flaxseed Oil. Also, you can get these things from Vitamin Shoppe.com at really cheap prices. I love Whole Foods, but their supplements are a rip off.

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: vegetarian omega 3 new
      #216371 - 09/28/05 12:39 PM
jaime g

Quote:

I am fairly certain that there is. Try searching for Borage Oil, Evening Primrose Oil and Flaxseed Oil. Also, you can get these things from Vitamin Shoppe.com at really cheap prices. I love Whole Foods, but their supplements are a rip off.

so those oils do the same thing as the fish oils? they have omega 3?

--------------------
jaime

#216565 - 09/29/05 12:01 PM
AstroChick

Quote:

hot damn! i've got it on my cheeks, under my chin, and on my arms, legs, the sides of my torso... it's crazy. not as bad as when i was younger, though. my sister has it, too. i'm religious about moisturizing, but it doesn't help much. in high school a dermatologist put me on lacticare, which helped, but it felt so gross, and has steroids - it's the only thing that's ever worked, though washing with cetaphil rather than soap or body wash does make it a little softer.

do you just take the regular supplement dose with the fish oils? i'm a vegetarian, but i think i've seen veggie omegas at whole foods. this is very exciting. how long did it take to see results? and did it help on the tougher areas, even if it didn't go away?

Howdy fellow sufferer! I take two caps a day - I suppose if I went around in shorts and t-shirts more often, I'd up it to two caps twice a day. And my mom had it and her mom had it, so I got it honestly. My mom swore that it would go away when I turned 30, but no such luck.

It's been several years since I started them, but I think I saw some results before I even finished the first bottle. It has helped my arms and legs somewhat, and a beta hydroxy lotion (non-prescription) and an exfoliant helps them even more when I remember to use them.

I'm sure you could google about good veggie omega-3 sources. I think even more important than the supplements is trying to balance your overall omega-3 vs. omega-6 intake. Fortunately, a lot of omega-6-rich stuff is also bad for IBS (foods with highly processed fats, for example), so we're all going in the right direction already.

I am so glad that a friend of mine asked me to test out the medical website she was working on - that was the first time I was told about omega-3s and keratosis pilaris!

--AC

Re: ls this the citrate form of Cal/Mag? new
      #216573 - 09/29/05 12:09 PM
AstroChick

Cal-Snack appears to be part citrate and part not. Yeah, it looks like it has mannitol in it, but it must be a tiny amount because I don't have any problems with this even when I'm having D and nausea.

--AC

Thanks, it contains fructose too! new
      #216578 - 09/29/05 12:15 PM
Augie

I think I'll pass on this one for a while. I don't know if fructose bothers me or not...but better safe than sorry.

--------------------
~ Beth

#216588 - 09/29/05 12:27 PM
jaime g

what's the website where you found this information? i mentioned this to my father, and he said, 'i don't think that's what omega-3 is for...' not that there's a danger to taking it. i'd just love to know more about this connection.

he also, through his gf who works for solgar, is getting me some flax seed oil caps, which seem to be a good vegetarian source of omega 3. i'm going to do some web research on this omega stuff, though, because it's not anything i've ever paid attention to.

--------------------
jaime

for those of you who take fish oil capsules new
      #216589 - 09/29/05 12:29 PM
Augie

Which one do you take? The Omega 3 or the 3-6-9 combination? Or another type all together? Is there one type that is better for C?

--------------------
~ Beth

#216706 - 09/30/05 06:47 AM
AstroChick

Quote:

what's the website where you found this information? i mentioned this to my father, and he said, 'i don't think that's what omega-3 is for...' not that there's a danger to taking it.

Alas, they went broke - my buddy worked for them in the late 90s, when every web biz was going nuts! I did find some random pages when I googled "Omega-3 dry skin keratosis pilaris" - so maybe some searches could find some backup for this. Another search term might be "EFA" for essential fatty acids.

In any case, I think they helped, and my doctor is just happy I'm taking fish oil because she thinks it's a great thing for my heart, etc.

--AC

p.s. I looked at my bottle today, and my capsules are 1000 mg. So I'm getting 2 g of fish oil a day, and then I like to eat salmon too.

another question... this may be the last... new
      #216721 - 09/30/05 07:24 AM
jaime g

how long did it take for you to start seeing results? just so i have an idea..

--------------------
jaime

Re: another question... this may be the last... new
      #216764 - 09/30/05 09:16 AM
AstroChick

Gosh, it's been ages - maybe 3-6 months? It should also make your skin less dry in general. My problem in pinpointing it is that my bumps are always way worse in the winter, so any short term change can always be blamed on the weather. I really need to compare my skin at the same time of the year to get a good feel about how it's doing.

--AC, extra bumpy this am due to the first heating day of the year

#216903 - 10/01/05 06:05 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I have that KP skin problem too! I have it all over my legs. What I use is Jergen's Skin Smoothing Lotion, it's an exfoliating moisturizer and it works great! I highly recommend it. But it takes awhile to start working, so you gotta keep up with it even if you don't see results at first.

For Omega-3's that are vegetarian, I take flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil is basiclly the equivalent of fish oil but cruely free and mercury free Yes fish oil does have mercury in it which is not good for you, though I think there are some that don't. Anyway, you can buy flaxseed oil pills, drink the oil straight, or take ground flax seeds. The only thing is ground flaxseeds have insoluble fiber, so treat it carefully.

Personally I found I cannot tolerate them very well, so I take the oil instead. Instead of taking the pills though, I just take a teaspoon of it. But it's SO GROSS, so I hold my nose while I take it(I swear you can't taste a thing you do this!), and drink something really sweet after. That way I don't taste a thing. But I guess some people like the taste. But omega-3's are very important to get, especially if you're vegetarian since we don't eat fish. Walnuts also have it, but not as much as flax.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5771 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5878

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review