All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
for those of you who take fish oil capsules new
      #216589 - 09/29/05 12:29 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Which one do you take? The Omega 3 or the 3-6-9 combination? Or another type all together? Is there one type that is better for C?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: dry bumpy skin new
      #216706 - 09/30/05 06:47 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

what's the website where you found this information? i mentioned this to my father, and he said, 'i don't think that's what omega-3 is for...' not that there's a danger to taking it.

Alas, they went broke - my buddy worked for them in the late 90s, when every web biz was going nuts! I did find some random pages when I googled "Omega-3 dry skin keratosis pilaris" - so maybe some searches could find some backup for this. Another search term might be "EFA" for essential fatty acids.

In any case, I think they helped, and my doctor is just happy I'm taking fish oil because she thinks it's a great thing for my heart, etc.

--AC

p.s. I looked at my bottle today, and my capsules are 1000 mg. So I'm getting 2 g of fish oil a day, and then I like to eat salmon too.

another question... this may be the last... new
      #216721 - 09/30/05 07:24 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

how long did it take for you to start seeing results? just so i have an idea..

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: another question... this may be the last... new
      #216764 - 09/30/05 09:16 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Gosh, it's been ages - maybe 3-6 months? It should also make your skin less dry in general. My problem in pinpointing it is that my bumps are always way worse in the winter, so any short term change can always be blamed on the weather. I really need to compare my skin at the same time of the year to get a good feel about how it's doing.

--AC, extra bumpy this am due to the first heating day of the year

Re: dry bumpy skin new
      #216903 - 10/01/05 06:05 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I have that KP skin problem too! I have it all over my legs. What I use is Jergen's Skin Smoothing Lotion, it's an exfoliating moisturizer and it works great! I highly recommend it. But it takes awhile to start working, so you gotta keep up with it even if you don't see results at first.

For Omega-3's that are vegetarian, I take flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil is basiclly the equivalent of fish oil but cruely free and mercury free Yes fish oil does have mercury in it which is not good for you, though I think there are some that don't. Anyway, you can buy flaxseed oil pills, drink the oil straight, or take ground flax seeds. The only thing is ground flaxseeds have insoluble fiber, so treat it carefully.

Personally I found I cannot tolerate them very well, so I take the oil instead. Instead of taking the pills though, I just take a teaspoon of it. But it's SO GROSS, so I hold my nose while I take it(I swear you can't taste a thing you do this!), and drink something really sweet after. That way I don't taste a thing. But I guess some people like the taste. But omega-3's are very important to get, especially if you're vegetarian since we don't eat fish. Walnuts also have it, but not as much as flax.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 629 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review