All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: dry bumpy skin new
      #216316 - 09/28/05 10:04 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

hot damn! i've got it on my cheeks, under my chin, and on my arms, legs, the sides of my torso... it's crazy. not as bad as when i was younger, though. my sister has it, too. i'm religious about moisturizing, but it doesn't help much. in high school a dermatologist put me on lacticare, which helped, but it felt so gross, and has steroids - it's the only thing that's ever worked, though washing with cetaphil rather than soap or body wash does make it a little softer.

do you just take the regular supplement dose with the fish oils? i'm a vegetarian, but i think i've seen veggie omegas at whole foods. this is very exciting. how long did it take to see results? and did it help on the tougher areas, even if it didn't go away?

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Omega 3 new
      #216321 - 09/28/05 10:15 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

You can buy a brand by the name of Nordic Naturals that have a chewable tablet that taste like strawberry. Seriously...my 5 yr old daughter LOVES them. Also, they have a liquid that tastes like peach if you are squeamish about pills. They are tested for purity and you won't get that "fish burp." (That comes from rancid oils in the capsules) They can be bought through the Vitamin Shoppe.com for pretty cheap. Hope this helps!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

ls this the citrate form of Cal/Mag? new
      #216326 - 09/28/05 10:20 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How many do you take per day?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

vegetarian omega 3 new
      #216341 - 09/28/05 11:20 AM
jaime g

anyone know if this exists? my dad said something about flaxseed oil as a vegetarian alternative to the fish stuff, but he gets all sorts of crazy ideas. (his gf works for solgar, so i'm trying to see if they can hook me up, so i don't have to continue signing my paychecks over to whole foods.)

--------------------
jaime

Re: vegetarian omega 3 new
      #216369 - 09/28/05 12:28 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I am fairly certain that there is. Try searching for Borage Oil, Evening Primrose Oil and Flaxseed Oil. Also, you can get these things from Vitamin Shoppe.com at really cheap prices. I love Whole Foods, but their supplements are a rip off.

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: vegetarian omega 3 new
      #216371 - 09/28/05 12:39 PM
jaime g

Quote:

I am fairly certain that there is. Try searching for Borage Oil, Evening Primrose Oil and Flaxseed Oil. Also, you can get these things from Vitamin Shoppe.com at really cheap prices. I love Whole Foods, but their supplements are a rip off.

so those oils do the same thing as the fish oils? they have omega 3?

--------------------
jaime

#216565 - 09/29/05 12:01 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

hot damn! i've got it on my cheeks, under my chin, and on my arms, legs, the sides of my torso... it's crazy. not as bad as when i was younger, though. my sister has it, too. i'm religious about moisturizing, but it doesn't help much. in high school a dermatologist put me on lacticare, which helped, but it felt so gross, and has steroids - it's the only thing that's ever worked, though washing with cetaphil rather than soap or body wash does make it a little softer.

do you just take the regular supplement dose with the fish oils? i'm a vegetarian, but i think i've seen veggie omegas at whole foods. this is very exciting. how long did it take to see results? and did it help on the tougher areas, even if it didn't go away?

Howdy fellow sufferer! I take two caps a day - I suppose if I went around in shorts and t-shirts more often, I'd up it to two caps twice a day. And my mom had it and her mom had it, so I got it honestly. My mom swore that it would go away when I turned 30, but no such luck.

It's been several years since I started them, but I think I saw some results before I even finished the first bottle. It has helped my arms and legs somewhat, and a beta hydroxy lotion (non-prescription) and an exfoliant helps them even more when I remember to use them.

I'm sure you could google about good veggie omega-3 sources. I think even more important than the supplements is trying to balance your overall omega-3 vs. omega-6 intake. Fortunately, a lot of omega-6-rich stuff is also bad for IBS (foods with highly processed fats, for example), so we're all going in the right direction already.

I am so glad that a friend of mine asked me to test out the medical website she was working on - that was the first time I was told about omega-3s and keratosis pilaris!

--AC

Re: ls this the citrate form of Cal/Mag? new
      #216573 - 09/29/05 12:09 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Cal-Snack appears to be part citrate and part not. Yeah, it looks like it has mannitol in it, but it must be a tiny amount because I don't have any problems with this even when I'm having D and nausea.

--AC

Thanks, it contains fructose too! new
      #216578 - 09/29/05 12:15 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I think I'll pass on this one for a while. I don't know if fructose bothers me or not...but better safe than sorry.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#216588 - 09/29/05 12:27 PM
jaime g

what's the website where you found this information? i mentioned this to my father, and he said, 'i don't think that's what omega-3 is for...' not that there's a danger to taking it. i'd just love to know more about this connection.

he also, through his gf who works for solgar, is getting me some flax seed oil caps, which seem to be a good vegetarian source of omega 3. i'm going to do some web research on this omega stuff, though, because it's not anything i've ever paid attention to.

--------------------
jaime

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review