All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Beverages cause pain
      #215548 - 09/24/05 04:55 AM
lorilea

Reged: 09/24/05
Loc: monroe, mi

My 10 year old son was diagnosed as fructose intolerant, but the doctor feels he also has IBS. He's been much better without fructose (no fruit, very few veggies, and no high fructose corn syrup), but he still has some pain and sometimes diarrhea.

What puzzles me - drinking often causes pain. We've gone just to water because all other beverages cause pain. Now even water is a problem sometimes.

He will come in from playing outside and be really thirsty - drink water, and then have lots of pain. He's often thirsty at night and can't drink much water. We're trying to make him sip slowly (less air bubbles), but this isn't always effective.

Does anyone else get painful attacks from drinking beverages?

Thanks for any help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beverages cause pain new
      #215552 - 09/24/05 05:57 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

How cold is the water you're giving him? Because ice cold beverages can shock the digestive system and cause pain. You may try giving him room temperature water and see if that helps.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Beverages cause pain new
      #215601 - 09/24/05 02:42 PM
lorilea

Thanks for the suggestion. We try not to have the water ice-cold, but he does usually prefer cooler water. We'll try to keep it room-temp.

COLD WATER CAN BE VERY PAINFUL new
      #215636 - 09/24/05 08:41 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

also most juices. Room temp or maybe one ice cube should be OK. But if you find an herbal tea Like Tumy Mint or Peppermint, you can brew it, cool it, and put it in the fridge so he can have iced tea. (That and water are all I drink). Good Luck. It must be very hard to have a child with IBS. I hope he feels bette soon.

Re: COLD WATER CAN BE VERY PAINFUL - question new
      #215730 - 09/25/05 01:01 PM
lorilea

Thanks for your suggestions. Do you think cold water is more likely to cause pain than other cold drinks, like iced tea?

Concerning peppermint tea, I'm still trying to find someone who can tell me if peppermint has fructose (since my son is fructose intolerant). His doctors aren't sure about it. Also the Heather's peppermint caps have ginger in them, and he has to avoid ginger.

Re: COLD WATER CAN BE VERY PAINFUL - question new
      #215789 - 09/25/05 07:13 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

Thanks for your suggestions. Do you think cold water is more likely to cause pain than other cold drinks, like iced tea? It's the coldness itself that's a problem because it triggers GI spasms--not water vs another drink. It's especially worse if you drink something cold on an empty stomach.

Concerning peppermint tea, I'm still trying to find someone who can tell me if peppermint has fructose (since my son is fructose intolerant). His doctors aren't sure about it. Also the Heather's peppermint caps have ginger in them, and he has to avoid ginger. Fructose is mainly found in fruit, so it shouldn't be in plain peppermint tea (loose or tea bags). I hope your son starts feeling better soon!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1171

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review