All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
store cupboard
      #215095 - 09/22/05 01:03 AM
tstevens

Reged: 08/24/05

Hi
I am just about to start this way of eating, I have crohn's.

I am based in the UK.

Is thier a list anywhere of store cupboard staples, that are needed to cover the recipies ect

many thanks

tanya

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: store cupboard new
      #215103 - 09/22/05 05:36 AM
MomOfBoyz

Reged: 04/21/05

Karen, have you found a fat-free mayo that doesn't taste like plastic? I'm currenty using Duke's lowfat. It tastes great, but the texture is kind if runny and the rest of my family won't touch it.

I'm not Karen but ... new
      #215123 - 09/22/05 07:42 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I use Hellmann's Reduced Fat Mayonnaise (25 calories per Tablespoon, 20 from fat). It's pretty good and the texture seems perfectly mayonnaise-y to me. (This used to be Just2Good Mayonnaise which you'll find recommended here and there on the Boards.)

Hellmann's also makes Light Mayonnaise (45 calories per Tablespoon, 40 from fat) which I thought was very good and also perfect texture-wise. It does have some egg yolk in it, so you may or may not be able to tolerate it. I decided to stay away from it until I was sure I was stable, so I'll probably go back and try it again sometime.

Hellmann's Mayonnaise Webpage

In a sandwich recipe I pulled off this Website, Heather recommends using fat-free mayonnaise and livening it up thusly:

Quote:

Drizzle about 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil into a spoonful or two of fat free mayonnaise. Squirt some fresh lemon juice into the mayonnaise, and stir until well-blended.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: store cupboard new
      #215130 - 09/22/05 07:47 AM
Sand

There was an old thread about what foods people had in refrigerator and/or pantry. Maybe that will help a little. I know at least one of the people who posted in the thread is from the UK.

Also Heather has a list of IBS essentials in EFI. I can't find it on the Website, but if you've got the book it's right before the recipes start.

HTH. Good luck with the diet.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I'm not Karen but ... new
      #215175 - 09/22/05 08:38 AM
MomOfBoyz

Thanks, ladies! I don't have a problem with egg yolks at all. I have a scrambled egg for breakfast with sourdough toast several times a week with no problems.

has anyone found ff mayo w/o hfcs? -nt- new
      #215253 - 09/22/05 04:22 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#215288 - 09/22/05 06:23 PM
manda22

Reged: 09/14/05
Loc: Blue Springs, Missouri

I am not sure if this is ok to use, but I just use Fat Free Miracle Whip. I love the taste of it and can't tell it is fat free. I have never had any reactions to it. I don't have any right now to check for the hfcs, but I do have the grocery store brand and it looks safe to me (no hfcfs) and it tastes just like the miracle whip. I am not sure if you guys prefer the mayonnaise taste to the miracle whip taste!? just a thought!!

--------------------
Amanda Doubenmier

#215330 - 09/23/05 04:38 AM
MomOfBoyz

The only mayo brands I can find (low-fat or regular) that aren't chock full of HFCS are Duke's and Kraft. Cutting HFCS out of my diet is really helping. I got so sick from eating breakfast cereal a while back that I went through eliminating ingredients one by one. It's the sweetener that was doing it. So I switched to oatmeal. Sorry this is a bit off topic.

My Hellmann's Reduced Fat doesn't have HFCS in it - it actually has sugar! - nt- new
      #215372 - 09/23/05 08:23 AM
Sand

--------------------

Re: My Hellmann's Reduced Fat doesn't have HFCS in it - it actually has sugar! - nt- new
      #215382 - 09/23/05 08:46 AM
MomOfBoyz

That's good to know. They have a new canola mayo out that I've been wanting to try.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 584 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 907

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review