All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm new here!
      #21474 - 09/22/03 04:51 PM
Ang

Reged: 09/22/03

Hi! I just recently found Heather's book and started on the IBS diet. But was diagnosed about 2 years ago with IBS (though no testing was done). Just recently it has gotten really bad and I have trouble taking roadtrips like I used to! This really worries me because in January I am planning on going to Mexico. Any advice?? And how will I be able to eat safe foods in a different country??
Anyways, it's been about two weeks and I do not have D like I used to, so I am getting better! I am having trouble with the recipe book, though. I am definitely not a cook and don't really like seafood so I am stuck as to what to make for my main dishes. Also, I live in a small town so it is hard to find some of the ingredients around here!

Any help/advice would be appreciated and I would love to start talking with other people who understand my "condition".

Thanks!
Ang

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm new here! new
      #21477 - 09/22/03 05:17 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Ang! Welcome to the boards!

You should really have some tests done - IBS can mimic other things. I'm glad you are feeling better on Heather's diet though.

Check on the Recipe Exchange - you will find lots of recipes over there.

I think if you are feeling better on the diet, you will feel lots better by January to take your trip. As to what to eat when you get to Mexico - I have no idea! Hopefully someone else can help you out with that one.

#21484 - 09/22/03 07:29 PM
MICHAELA

Reged: 08/22/03

Hi Ang,

My hubby has IBS~D so I've had to learn how to cook all over again. Once you get used to what can be eaten safely and the balance of soluable and insoluable food, things will become easy for you. The first few months were a bit challenging. Be patient and it will all fall into place.

I live in a small town too, so I know how frustrated it is to find some things. However, I decided to stay with things that are commonly found. You will be suprised by reading lables how many safe things are out there to eat. Always check the fat grams before you decide to eat any thing and be kind of aware of your daily fat intake.

As for your trip to mexico here's our traveling plan of attack. 2 of 3 days prior to any trip or special outing, my hubby only eats safe soluable food. He always eats soy yogurt because it causes binding which can be good if your IBS-D. Be sure to take snacks that you know are safe for you. Bring you own breakfast cereals and soy milk or rice milk. In our town they sell it in small 8oz boxed 6 packs. Be sure to take a soluable supplement with you and take it with each meal. Don't drink tap water in Mexico. Drink only bottled water. If your not sure you should eat it don't. Stick with tortilla and rice as a safe base. Chicken fajits could be an option. Don't be afraid to ask questions about the food. Ask them to remove cheese if needed. Try bean dishes also. Just tell them your a picky eater if any body asks;) Who cares because it better than being sick.

I hope that my mini novel helps. Michaela

I am the IBS SUPPORT GROUP PAYSON leader and moderator if you would like to email me and get some more info you may reach me at ibspayson@yahoo.com

#21487 - 09/22/03 08:24 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Ang and welcome.

I can't give you any advice about Mexico, since Mexican food and me do not get along.

I agree with Mags - you really need to get tested to rule out other disorders. It is good to know Heather's diet is already helping you.

#21553 - 09/23/03 11:48 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Just wanted to welcome you to the board and say hello. I'm glad you are doing better already. Just give it time and you will see a big improvement. As for your trip to Mexico, be very very careful what you eat and drink. I certainly wouldn't drink the water or eat ice. Beaglelover

#21669 - 09/24/03 04:15 PM
Ang

Reged: 09/22/03

Thanks for the advice and support! As for getting testing done, it just seems like an awful lot of anxiety and wasted time. Though my grandmother had crohn's, I don't have the bleeding that goes along with it. So I tell myself I don't have to get tested, but I suppose I could look into it....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5519 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 879

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review