All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Diabetes & IBS
      #213807 - 09/16/05 07:22 AM

Unregistered

I would like to hear from anyone dealing with both these conditions or anyone who knows about diabetes. I was diagnosed at the end of August with Diabetes 2 and have been put on to medication straight away. However I am taking it very slowly with the meds because the main side effects are diarrhea, nausea and gas. Am on my 16th day so far, no diarrhea but horrendous gas. I feel rather low because having just spent the past 12 months gaining control and stability with my ibs I now have this to deal with and from what I have investigated on the web it would appear that a lot of Diabetics are on very low carbs.
Please help me if you can. Thanks. Judith

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diabetes & IBS new
      #213819 - 09/16/05 08:30 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

There is info about this in the Frequently asked questions post at the top of the page. Just click on the link for diabetes and IBS once you get to the post. My mom has diabetes and I was borderline gestational diabetic with both pregancies -- so I test my sugar every now and then -- but so far I haven't had any trouble. Best of luck to you.

#213832 - 09/16/05 09:33 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hi! I don't have diabetes myself, but my husband was diagnosed with it 6 months ago. We've found a decent amount of food that works for both of us, and a lot of the supplements (peppermint tea, acacia, fennel tea, etc.) either have no effect on blood sugar or work to lower it.

From what I've seen of my husband's testing, there might be some carbs that don't affect you too badly. You might try experimenting and seeing how they affect both your belly and your blood sugar. And he can even eat bread and potatoes if he exercises enough, and exercise will also help your IBS.

There's a "The First Year" book out about Type II Diabetes just like Heather's TFY book on IBS. You'll learn a lot if you read 'em both!

--AC

#213938 - 09/16/05 02:44 PM

Unregistered

Thanks for your response - I ordered the FY Diabetes 2 and am gradually making my way through it.
I just find that it helps even more to speak with people who have been where you are or are even there with you!!
I find it ironic that sugar is basically not a trigger or problem with ibs - now I have diabetes!! and sugar most certainly is a problem.

About low carb breads? new
      #213951 - 09/16/05 04:11 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I know these are very popular right now, especially with diabetics, and that many are soy based, but has anyone had any experience with them? Have they caused IBS problems?

I just don't know that much about them. I tried my diabetic husband on them (a couple different ones) and he said "no thank you, they taste like cardboard "....so we just reduce the amount of real bread he eats.

Thanks,

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 304 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 706

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review