Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Feeling depressed about IBS
      #21367 - 09/21/03 05:30 PM
Browneyes

Reged: 07/09/03
Loc: NY School MA Home

Hi all, It's me again... the newbie.
I've been adhearing as close as possible these last few days to the doctor's orders (Librax and acidophilis and fiber) and actually I stuck more to what Heather says than what Doc said because he was trying to tell me to be eating huge bowls of salad. I think I got a cramp just THINKING about that, so I had turkey on a roll. My question is this... is it normal to be a little depressed after being diagnosed? I thought I'd be relieved to know what it was and to start getting treated, but it's really hitting me pretty hard that this is never going to go away. I have an illness for life, and it's really bringing me down. My friends here at school (God bless them) are super supportive. They want me to give them something they can do to help me, and they've only known me 3 weeks. I love them! But they've definately noticed since my diagnosis on thursday that instead of seeming sick, I seem really really sad. And to be honest, I feel really sad. Is this normal? Will it go away? My school has a counseling center, and health services recommended I check it out if I'm really depressed, but I was hoping maybe everyone went through this after their diagnosis

--------------------
"I'd rather a half hour of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Feeling depressed about IBS new
      #21370 - 09/21/03 05:51 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I went through the same thing when I finally figured out this is what I had. I thought my life would never be "normal." This is terrible but I actually hoped that the doctors would finally something on the tests that I had done, so that I wouldn't be stuck with the diagnosis of IBS. I figured if I had IBS that I had no hope of every getting better and if I had something else, the doctors might could take care of it. I can't promise that this journey will be rosy, but I can say that in my case it has gotten better. You learn what you can and can't eat, and how to manage it. You will get better with time! Hang in there! What you're going through is a mourning stage. It will get better!

#21384 - 09/22/03 02:57 AM
Ian

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Yep, been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

The Doctors say it's IBS, nothing to worry about, nothing we can do, go away and chill out, learn to live with it.

So the patient is left with a life-long condition, over which they seem to have no control and often little support from the medical profession. Who wouldn't feel depressed.

IBS, usually in combination with other problems in life, has left me seriously depressed on many occasions. Sometimes the downer would last for a few days, sometimes weeks or months.

Then I bought Heather's book and realised that it is possible to control the IBS rather than having it control me.

You've found this forum, so you're in the right place and heading in the right direction. Just hang in there. It can get better; it will get better!

Best Wishes.

Ian

#21390 - 09/22/03 06:04 AM
laina

Reged: 09/20/03

hi, i am new as well, i was diganosed 5 years ago( the night before my wedding, i wound up in the er) and have been living with ibs since. the prob was that the doc never told me what to do, just eat fiber he said, or how serious it could be. for 5 yrs i have not had a single morining that i wasn't sick or in pain. finally i had enough- went to a new doc and they said that i was definatley sick, again they didn't help me though, so i found my way here! been doing the diet for 2 weeks now and have seen a BIG differnce! i can relate to being depressed, i have had anixety attacks due to this and could not take care of my children at times. it is very reasuring to know there is help here! thankyou for that

#21401 - 09/22/03 09:44 AM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

At the beginning, it seemed like there wasn't a minute of the day when I wasn't sick, which got really old, really fast. I, too, felt depressed, thinking feeling better again was hopeless. I felt deprived and embarrassed and left out, thinking that I'd never be able to enjoy the companionship of friends in restaurants, have a relaxing vacation, or even be able to feel "normal." All of that can really take it's toll on you.

But....things do get better. Being on the diet has settled my stomach and has helped me slim down. I actually feel better now than I've felt in a long, long time. I've gotten used to the diet so much that it doesn't seem like work anymore. I don't feel left out or deprived anymore because I've seen the positive effects on my health and my sanity (and my waistline!).

Things are rough now, I know, but they do get better. ((Trust Me))

Best wishes.
Kristine

#21405 - 09/22/03 09:52 AM
mlambers

Reged: 09/18/03
Loc: MI

I have been there too, you're not alone. At my lowest point I was canceling all my plans with friends and family and missing work too. I finally went in for a colonosopy. My Dr. said everything was fine but saw my colon spasming and noted I had irregular gas patterns (bloating). He diagnosed me with IBS and told me I had to "relax" and "not get stressed out". I got Heather's book just after that and tried changing my eating habits. It helped but did not cure me all the way. I began thinking about what the doctor said. I realized that I am a big-time worrier who often bites off more than he can chew. For example, at my lowest I was working full time with overtime, going to college, selling a condo, building house, getting married and dealing with all of life's little things. I feel the combination of changing my eating habits and realizing I am human, I make mistakes and can only do so much AND worrying about what others MIGHT be feeling about me is pointless and wasted energy, has helped me an incredible amount! I have IBS-D and have gone months without an attack. I also found if my mind is not occupied with something else (hobby, book, etc.) I will start thinking about what I ate, when was my last BM, etc. Then I start feeling cruddy. I used to always think, things HAVE to get better...how can they get worse! I hope you feel better soon!

#21412 - 09/22/03 10:27 AM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Browneyes,
It's normal to be depressed about IBS. I still am having a hard time accepting it, and I've had it for years before I knew what IBS was.
I've found Heather's books and this website to be very helpful and supportive. I'm fortunate that when I take Bentyl I can handle a good share of my trigger foods.
Have you talked to your Doc about any medicine you can try?
Hang in there and good luck.

Cloudygirl

#21425 - 09/22/03 11:30 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Yes, I felt pretty bad, too. But there's lots of upsides. I know it's hard to think of right now, but trust me. I've lived with this for 7? years now, and it does get better.
If you have to live with something, IBS does have advantages. One - it's a healthy low fat diet that will serve you well all your life. Two - there are more and more substitutions available on the market so you don't feel so deprived. Three - once you get a handle on the diet and your triggers and what you can tolerate, you will be much more in control and feeling more positive about things. It's a slow process, but stick with Heather's dietary advice, try some new recipes from the recipe board and keep posting. We're all in this together. We're here for you.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#21426 - 09/22/03 11:31 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Adding on to HanSolo's list of positives:

4) Think of all the money you are saving not wasting it on Fast Food and restaurants all the time.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#21440 - 09/22/03 02:01 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I think we all hit walls at certain times during this transition into an identified IBS life. It was hard eating in the beginning, but when you re-learn how to eat, it will become second hand. Instead of getting depressed over what you can't eat, you'll be focusing on what you can eat. Honest, it does get better. It becomes a challenge to figure out what your specific triggers are (we're all different).

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 560 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4034

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review