All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about juice drinks
      #21341 - 09/21/03 10:00 AM
no Tabasco

Reged: 09/19/03
Loc: Mass.

I have searched around but didn't see any specific opinions on these two drinks I have regularly and wanted to know if they were helping or hurting. They are 100% Pineapple juice (Dole or store brand) and Sam's Choice 100% Grape Juice. What about Orange Juice? Too much acid? The "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" book says to avoid in the morning but is tolerated generally for most in the evening. Any recommendations (brand names) would be great. I live in MA.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about juice drinks new
      #21342 - 09/21/03 10:35 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

Acidic foods (citrus fruits and cooked tomatoes) should be treated with extra care as well, as their acidity can cause both upper and lower GI distress. Once again, follow the rules for insoluble fiber and eat these foods in smaller quantities incorporated with soluble fiber – but please do eat them.

Fructose, a fruit sugar, can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea (this is typically not true for sucrose, or plain table sugar). Fruit juices, particularly apple and grape juice, are often sky high in fructose and even more problematic than whole fresh fruit. It's simply much easier and faster to drink a large glass of juice (and ingest a great deal of fructose) than to eat an equivalent amount of whole fruit. So treat juices as you would insoluble fiber and drink them carefully, with soluble fiber foods.

Personally, I don't really drink juice. I usually stick to teas and water, but sometimes I'll have unsweetened cranberry (I like Ocean Spray).

Re: Question about juice drinks new
      #21438 - 09/22/03 01:29 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi; TRY SOY SENSATIONS FRUIT JUICE. IF YOU TOLERATE SOY ATALL. iT IS A MIX OF SOY AND FRUIT AMD DELICIOUS. NOT ACIDY AT ALL.

NO Tabasco new
      #21557 - 09/23/03 11:57 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

There's no info about you in your profile, but I would guess you are from New Orleans. I have lived in Mandeville, Lafayette and Baton Rouge---and remember touring the Tabasco plant in elementary school. Some mean ol' boys on the school bus decided to be cute on the way home from our field trip. They sprinkled the Cheez Puffs that the girls were snacking on with Tabasco sauce!!! Of course, none of us had anything to drink on the bus and we were in the middle of nowhere and couldn't stop to get anything.
My son puts Tabasco sauce on everything---hamburgers, scrambled eggs, etc. In my before IBS days, I loved in in Bloody Marys. Yum! The spicer the better! I miss the great food I had in South Louisiana, especially the fried oyster po-boys, the muffalattas, the gumbo, and crawfish etoufee. Guess it wouldn't do my tummy good now that I have IBS.

Re: NO Tabasco new
      #21577 - 09/23/03 03:06 PM
no Tabasco

Reged: 09/19/03
Loc: Mass.

Hi beaglelover,
Actually I am a single male going on 30 from Massachusetts. I would have figured out how to spell Tabasco correctly if I was from New Orleans.
I have IBD, specifically UC since 1999. I ended the millenium in grand fashion! Well, before being diagnosed I used to eat everything now banned from my diet so you can say I have had a real difficult coping process. For example, my typical meal was spicy buffalo wings, maccaroni and cheese, potatoes drowned in gravy, and corn. I also ate candy especcially Snickers bars almost daily. Looks like my colon gave out. Typical meat and potatoes guy although I never had a weight problem I have always had a high metabolism.
Although this site mostly caters to IBS I have found it very informative and as Heather says a lot of the suggestions,recipes,etc. can be used for us as well.

Re: NO Tabasco new
      #21596 - 09/23/03 05:32 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Oh, man. I just knew you were from New Orleans. I guess I have ingrained in me that when I see NO it means "New Orleans." Sorry, but I did think you were just a bad speller! Ha! Don't guess you want any Tabasco on your food now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1905 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 857

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review