All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Has anyone ever been THIS sick?
      #213134 - 09/14/05 04:34 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Okay, I am going through such a time with my IBS-D and last night I had the mother of all attacks, I could feel one coming on and for those who know this, can usually feel what type it's gonna be, I knew this one was going to be bad. After the pain and nausea, I ran to the bathroom and got so sick, I couldn't stay on the toilet, I basically fell off becaue I would feel the life draining out of me and after exploding with massive water D, I couldn't really feel my arms and my fingers were tingly. I always had numbness and tingling in my left leg. I started to twitch, kind of like when your cold and your shivering, but I wasn't cold, I was in a cold clammy sweat. I have had a vaso-vagel (where the blood isn't getting to your heart fast enought, usually caused by the spasm in the colon and the colon hogging it all) reaction before, but this was so intense I felt like I had a seizure or something. I actually thought I was going to die. But I knew it was an IBS attack, what triggered it I have no idea, I had a safe bagel just before this hapened and was drinking some of Heather's fennel tea...........I'm not as concerned as the trigger as the symptoms and if anyone has ever had anything this severe? A post or a private e-mail would be appreciated. Thanks

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone ever been THIS sick? new
      #213136 - 09/14/05 04:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've never been so sick that I couldn't stay on the toilet for almost passing out, but my attacks used to almost always involve the cold clammy feeling, severe nausea, dizziness, and shaking so bad that sometimes I had to *crawl* out of the bathroom because I was afraid my legs would give out. The shaking was so bad that it genuinely scared the crap out of my boyfriend - it was like I was having a seizure, it was so violent that I'd just about shake myself out of bed.

Since going on anti-anxiety meds, though, I've only had one attack like that in the past year. I don't know if it was panic-related, or if the meds just eased up my attacks in general so much that I just don't have them like that anymore, but either way, I'm glad they stopped! I'm sorry to hear you're going through this too. A call to your doctor might not be a bad idea.

#213137 - 09/14/05 05:13 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I haven't had the shaking, but the rest, oh yeah .....
I have ripped off my clothes because I was sweating so much, I keep splashing cold water on myself (the sink is right near the toilet, thank G-d.) and I sometimes bring the pillow with me because I know I will end up on the floor.
Sucks, huh?

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#213151 - 09/14/05 06:31 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

WOW, what an attack. Sorry! I've never had one that bad but I know from having panic attacks that they can cause your legs to shake and go weak.

If you don't get better maybe you should see a doc.

Feel better soon
Barbie

--------------------

#213169 - 09/14/05 07:15 AM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

The only time I was ever that sick was when I actually had a stomach virus. It was awful though, because my hands were cold & tingly, I was shivering & teeth chattering, of course I was throwing up & had D. Nothing like sitting on the toilet with your head in the garbage can. If I remember right, the cold/tingly hands is caused by hyperventilating. It was actually so bad that time, my husband wound up taking me to the ER. Are you sure it was IBS & not maybe a virus?
Of course, I had a pretty bad attack the other day & I'm still trying to stabilize again. It's awful, you definitely have my sympathy!!

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

#213412 - 09/14/05 06:31 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Thanks everyone, it is just nice to hear at times, that you are not the only one going through this horendous pain. I actually thought I was dying. It was the first time my husband had ever seen me have an attack this bad. He was acting like we were having a baby, running around like a crazy man, God love him. No I don't believe it was a virus, because it did start out like a lot of my attacks do, it's just I haven't had one this bad in months, and I'm not even going to stress over what I'm eating, because it's everything safe, since the end of July I can't get stable for more than 4 days. I've lost 10 pounds, it's getting very exhausting............sometimes I wish it were a virus

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#213418 - 09/14/05 07:08 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

What's in the air right now?? I had one of my worst attacks ever last Thursday night, and I have no clue what caused it, either. I can't say that I've ever experienced quite what you're describing, but this one was horrendous for me because instead of the usual pain I get this pain was much sharper, and it took my breath away. I literally felt like someone was stabbing me in the gut. I was tempted to call the hospital if it didn't go away, but luckily it finally abated. IBS can be so freakin scary, especially since I was alone in my apartment. That's so sweet that your hubby was with you and was so concerned. He sounds like a keeper. Anyway, now that I've been rambling, I just wanted to let you know that you're definitely not alone. I'm so sorry to hear about how sick you were! I would definitely keep an eye on that and tell your doc about it if it happens again, if you haven't already. Feel better soon!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#213442 - 09/14/05 09:04 PM
CindyG.

Reged: 01/26/05
Loc: Mississippi

Hey, I know exactly how you feel. Today I actually had a really bad attack.. not just one but several.
I was really nauseated and trembling.. I had tons of hot flashes though. I literally thought my insides were coming out. It was bad.. it really scares me cos at that moment you think its unbearable.. like I didnt know how it was possible for me to make it through it.. but I did. I am still here. We are some tough people I know for sure.
I hope you are feeling better.
Cindy

#213466 - 09/15/05 04:12 AM
Maritimer

Reged: 09/07/05
Loc: East Coast Canada

I had an attack last night too! Must be something in the air. I couldn't even put my 2 year old to bed (DH and do it together every night). My son was pretty good about too, I guess he could tell mommy was sick. I just layed in bed and cried (after I finished D of course)

Re: Has anyone ever been THIS sick?
      #213493 - 09/15/05 07:02 AM
Terri4301

Reged: 06/03/05

Hi;
Gosh that brought back a lot of memories! I've had plenty of those kind...weak, shaking, too weak to stay on the toilet waiting for the next wave. I've had plenty of "pillow times" in the bathroom. Since being on a low dose tri-cyclic AD it's MUCH better(and following heather's diet). I still have problems in the morning whenever I have to go somewhere, but I'm still working on that. Those weak, shaking, full blown attacks were mostly food related...my morning problem is more just never ending trips to the restroom...seems to be more anxiety related...you know, the kind where you worry about what will happen if you can't get to a restroom if it happens while you're out. Talk about frustrating!

Terri

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1250 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5633

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review