Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Are these foods ok?
      #21293 - 09/20/03 09:02 AM
no Tabasco

Reged: 09/19/03
Loc: Mass.

Hi,
I am a new member and happy to have found this site. The information I have read from this site has been so valuable and I have already learned so much about some of the things I have been doing wrong with my dietary choices. I have a list of foods that I would like to confirm if I should continue with or not. The foods I'm questioning are:
Liquid Nutritional Drinks like Ensure, Boost, Equate, etc. they have a high fat content but are always recommended at other sites. I also eat reduced-fat Cheez-its and honey graham crackers as a snack occassionally. The Cheez-its use Cheddar and I used to think that was an acceptable food. How about seedless natural raisins? Also what about spaghetti sauce? I use Hunt's tomato sauce is this ok? I stay away from other sauces like Ragu because I see they have more spices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are these foods ok? new
      #21296 - 09/20/03 09:19 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi and welcome to the board!

Here is great info on the drinks: web page

Dairy is a trigger so no for the Cheez-its even though they are reduced fat. Graham crackers are great snacks.

Raisins are great, but they are insoluble fiber, so they are best with soluble fiber to make them safe, like baked in breads for example.

I'm not sure if Hunt's sauce is okay - I always make homemade sauce. Tomatoes are a trigger for some, because of the acid. When I make my own, I use vidalla onions to cut back the acid. I think some may contain high fructose corn syrup too which you'd want to watch for, but I'm not really sure.

#21333 - 09/21/03 05:39 AM
no Tabasco

Reged: 09/19/03
Loc: Mass.

Thanks Mags2003 for your comments on the foods I mentioned. I'm pretty sure the tomatoes are a trigger for me. Often I substitute with White Clam Sauce which seems to agree with me. I noticed on the package of graham crackers I bought before it has high fructose corn syrup and sugar in it. Are you referring to making your own grahams? Or do you have any brands to recommend? I am not too fond of cooking but after seeing some of these posted recipes I am going to start.

#21336 - 09/21/03 07:31 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I don't make my own - I don't want to even think about how to make graham crackers! LOL

My favorite brand is Honey Maid - I'm not sure where you are from though, so I don't know if you can find that brand. My favorite is the low-fat cinnamon.

You should be okay with the small amount of the high fructose corn syrup in them. Here's a past post on that same topic: web page

Hope that helps - if you have any more questions, let us know!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 581

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review