All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question regarding your reactions to food
      #212775 - 09/12/05 05:07 PM
Maritimer

Reged: 09/07/05
Loc: East Coast Canada

As I have mentioned a couple of times, my symptoms just started several weeks ago, so I am just starting testing now. So I am not even sure what is wrong. All I know is the IBS diet is making life livable until we get this figured out.

So, the more I read about IBS, the more I wonder if that is what I have. My symptoms started with lots of D. Cramps for hours, but it was always several hours after eating. It started with just cramps all morning first thing when I woke up. Then they started lasting longer and longer. Now I can feel crappy any time of day and lots of times a little discomfort and bloating. But not usually with the meal. Plus, not really running out to the bathroom and stuff as other people have described. So do most attacks with IBS happen when you eat the trigger food (or within minutes) or can it take hours like I described?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question regarding your reactions to food new
      #212777 - 09/12/05 05:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

No, for me my attacks were not immediately after eating all the time. For years I felt food had nothing to do with my IBS because my bloating was so constant.

You really need to have a doctor tell you you have IBS and not self-diagnose.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#212779 - 09/12/05 05:13 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

It's all of the above. Sometimes it's as soon as a person eats and other times it takes a while. Some peopple have said days. For me it is usually soon after that I start with pains. This whole IBS thing is very individual. I can eat a lot of things that others would never go near and visa versa. I'm still pretty new at this so I don't want to give any diet advice that may be wrong, but I think keeping a food log is a good idea and if you have an attack mark it down in the log, too. That way you may be able to pin things down better.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#212781 - 09/12/05 05:21 PM
Maritimer

Quote:

No, for me my attacks were not immediately after eating all the time. For years I felt food had nothing to do with my IBS because my bloating was so constant.

You really need to have a doctor tell you you have IBS and not self-diagnose.

yeah, I know, lol, I am just dying to know what is causing this change in my life (I am very impatient if you haven't guessed)!

#212802 - 09/12/05 07:38 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It can happen both ways. Everyone's body is a little different, and so is their IBS. I know, it's not such a simple answer... but hopefully it'll save you a little confusion when you get 25 completely different answers. Heh.

My attacks always happened within an hour of eating something I shouldn't have... *however*... when my IBS was at its absolute worst, I had symptoms constantly, no matter how safe the food was or how little I ate. I think it's possible for your system to get SO irritated that it treats *everything* like a trigger. If that's the case, thankfully, it will calm down if you stick with the safest foods.

Yup, as others have said, it's new
      #212873 - 09/12/05 11:20 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

all of the above (Gotta love IBS, eh?) - On that note though, you really should see your doctor about getting properly tested for it if you haven't already. There are lots of (scarier) things that can act just like IBS that you want to rule out first. HTH.

Re: Yup, as others have said, it's new
      #212896 - 09/13/05 06:11 AM
Maritimer

Quote:

all of the above (Gotta love IBS, eh?) - On that note though, you really should see your doctor about getting properly tested for it if you haven't already. There are lots of (scarier) things that can act just like IBS that you want to rule out first. HTH.

ya, I am seeing my doctor. I am not sure how quick things are in Ontario, but around here there are huge waits for everything. I can't even get an ultrasound until at least November!!! URGH!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1538 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 611

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review