All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is enriched wheat flour safe?
      #212754 - 09/12/05 03:26 PM
Maritimer

Reged: 09/07/05
Loc: East Coast Canada

I saw posted and in Heather's book (I think) that Arrowroot and Graham Crackers are safe. But they are made with enriched wheat flour!?!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yes, it's safe. -nt- new
      #212761 - 09/12/05 04:00 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Re: Yes, it's safe. -nt- new
      #212771 - 09/12/05 04:52 PM
Maritimer

on its own, or do those foods need to follow SF?

Edited by Maritimer (09/12/05 04:52 PM)

to explain new
      #212776 - 09/12/05 05:08 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Wheat flour is flour made from wheat (vs. rice, soy, barley or whatever) and it is safe. It is plain flour with enriched vitamins. If it is whole grain wheat flour it will say so. It is mandatory that whole grain flour be listed as such on ingredients lists. If it doesn't say whole grain or similar than it is safe to eat- it is "white" flour then!
This is a common question!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: to explain new
      #212780 - 09/12/05 05:18 PM
Maritimer

Quote:

Wheat flour is flour made from wheat (vs. rice, soy, barley or whatever) and it is safe. It is plain flour with enriched vitamins. If it is whole grain wheat flour it will say so. It is mandatory that whole grain flour be listed as such on ingredients lists. If it doesn't say whole grain or similar than it is safe to eat- it is "white" flour then!
This is a common question!

Darn, I left them at the store cause I wasn't sure. Oh well, will have to go back tomorrow (need some snacks eh?)

Re: to explain new
      #212875 - 09/12/05 11:23 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yup, for general IBS (no celiac) wheat is safe - but wheat BRAN can be a huge trigger. The bran is the part of the grain that's stripped off when you turn whole wheat flour into white flour. Enriched white flour just means they add back in nutrients that go out with the bran, as Little Minnie said. But the bran - the insoluble fiber, and the trigger - is still not there. So yup, it's safe!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1456

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review