All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hello, all!
      #212654 - 09/12/05 11:03 AM
Lynn55

Reged: 08/31/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi, everyone. I wonder if you could please help me...I've recently been diagnosed with IBS, and am trying my darndest to do the right things, but find I'm living on Immodium more than I'd like to...However: what do you do for the nausea? Darn thing just hits me whenever, and can stay for a day! I can't take Gravol, as it makes me too sleepy...

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thank you...and I'm glad to have found this site!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hello, all! new
      #212678 - 09/12/05 12:14 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Believe it or not, I've found ginger to be FANTASTIC for nausea. The nice thing is that it comes in so many different forms, so you're bound to find something that works for you.

Teas are nice to sip, but I find they're not strong enough for my nausea, personally - I prefer strong ginger candies (like the ginger chews put out by The Ginger People, available in health food stores) or just straight-up candied ginger pieces. If the taste of ginger is just too much for you, try capsules.

And hang in there... if you stick with the diet and supplements, don't "cheat", and drink a lot, you will eventually start to stabilize, and you'll find yourself using that Imodium a LOT less.

#212701 - 09/12/05 01:03 PM
Lynn55

OMG, YES! I always loved my ginger tea (I make it with fresh ginger root...very strong;-) and I guess it's because I just felt so much better after drinking it!

As far as the diet goes that's posted on this site, I've gleaned a lot of into from it, but am also trying to lose weight (you'd think the D would be enough, wouldn't you?!)
Right now I'm in a bit of a flare-up, I guess and nothing seems palatable....but I will pick up my fresh ginger asap!

Thank you, Atomic Rose!

#212704 - 09/12/05 01:10 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Ginger is the best for nausea IMHO - wish I could take it now, but my GERDs won't allow me. Otherwise, eat SF frequently.

Or try travel sickness meds or talk to your doc.

Fyi, Immodium is fine to take everyday, long-term - and can really help you stabilise when taken as a daily preventative...doesn't mean you'll be on it forever.

ginger people new
      #212705 - 09/12/05 01:10 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i second casey on the ginger. i've been into crystalized ginger for a while, and i recently bought a bag of the ginger people hard candies - i'm hooked. i love the taste, they help my stomach (i use them for when i feel ickily full), they satisfy a sweets craving, kept my ears happy on airplanes, and helped with my donnatol dry-mouth. they say you can also dissolve one or two in a cup of hot tea, but i haven't tried that yet. i also love that my roommate gets freaked out by the drawing of actual ginger people on the bag - especially since one of them is cannibalizing and eating one of the candies himself.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#212711 - 09/12/05 01:17 PM
jaime g

if you're trying to lose weight while managing your ibs, i'd check out the fitness board. the diet, with its emphasis on low-fat and the way it makes you pay close attention to what you eat, can be really conducive to weight-loss, but the diet can also make it hard, especially since it goes against a lot of current fads. i'd check out the fitness board - there's a lot of great support over there, and people who're trying to get their weight healthy while taking care of their ibs, too.

--------------------
jaime

Re: ginger people new
      #212756 - 09/12/05 03:49 PM
Lynn55

Hah, Jaimeq...I'll cannibalize some ginger people too, if and when I find 'em! Is there a brand name? I'll look for them in my health-food store...Thanks!

#212757 - 09/12/05 03:53 PM
Lynn55

Hi, Linz (too funny...it's how our DD shortens her name: Lindsay!;-)...thanks for the info on Immodium; I hate being...what's the word...I hate relying on any med to keep me feeling well, but if I don't take it...blah!
I have my GI appt on Wednesday, and he'll schedule a cholonoscopy (oh, wow)...guess I'll know more with those results.

Thanks, LINZ!

#212784 - 09/12/05 05:59 PM
jaime g

'ginger people' is the brand. i got mine at whole foods, so the hfs sounds like a good bet.

--------------------
jaime

#212931 - 09/13/05 08:46 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

You can also order directly from their web site: http://www.gingerpeople.com

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 425 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1387

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review