All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
antidepressants question
      #212303 - 09/10/05 09:03 PM
tummytrouble

Reged: 09/10/05

My doctor doesn't seem to know much about IBS, I asked him if he know about the brain/gut connection and the use of antidepressants for IBS he didn't but he still gave me zoloft cuz he had free samples. Anyways I tried to explain that zoloft is mainly used for IBS-C I am IBS-D he said go ahead and try it you might not get D symptoms...should I take it or will it just make me way worse, shouldn't I use the tricylic antidepressants for IBS-D??? So confused! HELP!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: antidepressants question new
      #212304 - 09/10/05 09:56 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i'm ibs a but mostly d....i take celesa (spelling?) i don't know if that may help...it probably doesn't but my anti depressant is recommended alot for ibs. as far as zoloft, i'm sorry that i don't know the answer. but i know the one i use helps. that probably doesnt' help help....but i know alot of people on here does use anti-depressants, so i know someone else will have a better answer for you. i was scared to take mine, but i'm really glad i did!!

#212351 - 09/11/05 09:02 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I thought the rule was tri-cyclics for D, SSRIs for C, but if I'm understanding my GI guy right, that's not always the case - some SSRIs are used for D. Unfortunately, I didn't get into specific SSRI names with him.

Here's an old thread about SSRIs that might help a little. You could also try doing a Search for Zoloft on the Diet Board with no time limit and see what turns up.

You might want to see if you can find a more knowledgeable doctor, too. Here's a thread of good IBS docs - you could look through and see if there's one near you.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#212387 - 09/11/05 01:12 PM
CindyG.

Reged: 01/26/05
Loc: Mississippi

Hi, I found this on WEB md and thought it might help.
Antidepressants

Your doctor may prescribe a low dose of antidepressants for IBS. This does not necessarily mean that you are depressed.

Antidepressants can block the brain's perception of pain in the gut, says Beth Schorr-Lesnick, MD, FACG, a gastroenterologist at Montefiore Medical Center in Bronx, N.Y.

There are different kinds of antidepressants, and doctors may choose one or the other, depending on whether you suffer from constipation-predominant IBS or diarrhea-predominant IBS.

For IBS patients with constipation, Schorr-Lesnick will sometimes prescribe small doses of SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) antidepressants such as Celexa and Paxil. They do not usually cause constipation. Their side effects include nausea, loss of appetite, and diarrhea.

Other older antidepressants (called tricyclic antidepressants) tend to cause constipation. Doctors usually prescribe them for IBS patients with diarrhea. These drugs include Elavil, Pamelor, and Norpramine. Other side effects of tricyclic antidepressants include dry mouth, drowsiness, and blurred vision.
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/86/99274.htm
I have tried Paxil CR, Zoloft, Lexapro and Effexor for anxiety and for me the only one that didnt hurt my stomach was Paxil.. but I had to get off of it for other reasons..
Which is could be totally different for you.

I am currently trying to go to the doctor for new medication.
I hope this helps.
Cindy

#212397 - 09/11/05 02:24 PM
emily_m

Reged: 09/05/05

For my IBS-D, I've been put on several anti-anxiety/depression drugs. I started with Prozac, then Zoloft (different doses), then Lexapro, and now Celexa. I don't think any of them have helped with my IBS at all. Sometimes I feel that they might take the edge off so I don't get so worked up about things, but each drug has its own side effects. They didn't upset my stomach, that I could tell, but the other side effects were too much (crazy, violent dreams, sleeping all day, and lack of sex drive).

I'm on a low dose of Celexa now, but I don't think it's doing anything. I'm wondering if I should stop taking it or find out if my dr. wants to increase it or try something else.

Sometimes I think doctors hear "anxiety" or "depression" and forget about the IBS part.

Good luck!
Emily

#212405 - 09/11/05 03:56 PM
Silver

Reged: 10/22/04

my dr started me on a low dose of effexor xr (an ad with anti anxiety) and it has made a noticeable difference and i feel good. instead of having several loose bms everyday no matter what i eat i know have 1 or 2 everday day or every other day. ive been able to eat many things that i couldn't before (salads!!!) my dose is only 75mg daily.

my experience.. new
      #212409 - 09/11/05 04:23 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

I'm A, but more on the D side. I take Lexapro(not supposed to be good for D) with extremely good results. My problem was the anxiety/urgency bringing on D. Now that the anxiety is under control, so is my D.

HTH Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

celexa did that to me too new
      #212599 - 09/12/05 09:05 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i'm on a low dose now too...i slept alot, had bad dreams and my sex drive was almost non existant....my boyfriend said that i was more on edge as well...which i'm not sure if that's true or not....but i get mad off easier than ususal...but he's been kinda touchey...and i think it's him...lol i don't know....but stepping back and looking at it....it's probably the meds....i've gotten my sex drive back, and i'm trying to not sleep as much, the doc recommended i take it at night time....but for some reason i feel better taking it durring the day....thats just me though, i didn't know that it did that to other people!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3337 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 991

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review