All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Alkaline vs Acidic foods new
      #212690 - 09/12/05 12:31 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Do people with IBS do better with one vs the other? Is it okay to eat both types of foods on this diet? Just not sure if this is food factor I should focus on. Maybe eat only the alkaline foods...I think they are suppose to be easier to handle?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: silica side effect new
      #212809 - 09/12/05 08:00 PM
Sidewalker

Reged: 01/04/05

does anyone experience indigestion/burping after taking silica?

Re: Alkaline vs Acidic foods new
      #212872 - 09/12/05 11:16 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Cyndy - there is a difference between what naturopaths, holistic doctors (et al) call acid-forming and alkaline-forming foods and acidic foods. Acid forming foods include meat, fish, poultry, most dairy, white breads and other grains, most nuts and legumes and soy... while alkalizing foods are those such as most vegetables, totally whole grains (i.e. rolled oats, quinoa etc.), most fruits etc.

Most naturopaths argue that as a (Western) society we eat a diet that is too acidifying, relying so much on dairy, meat and refined grains, etc. But that doesn't mean that acidifying or alkalizing foods are healthy or not healthy - you just have to have a balance. Both groups contain lots of healthy foods.

All this is largely inconsequential to the IBS diet, though, because it doesn't have much to do with digestion and is not consistent with fiber - i.e. you get IF and SF on both sides. What matters to most IBSers is whether a food is ACIDIC on it's own, not the chemical processes it causes in your body (the acid/alkaline thing is not really about the gut, but rather about chemical processes in all the body's systems). So, that includes citrus fruits/juices, cooked tomatoes, vinegars etc. But then, this is a pretty individualized trigger. Some people are ok with acidic stuff while others are not.

Hope that clears things up a bit

Re: Alkaline vs Acidic foods, furthermore new
      #212887 - 09/13/05 05:26 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

...furthermore, what is acidifying for one person can actually alkalize and vice versa.

We need a balance of acid/alkaline foods. They recommend 25% acid foods, incidentally, and the rest alkalizing.

Thanks for explaining it effectively, Laurel.

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 485 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5468

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review