All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Yup! Looks safe to me--n.t. new
      #212478 - 09/11/05 08:10 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I wasn't sure if the Orthosilicic Acid (too acidic?) or the vegetable glycerine would be safe. I think vegetable glycerine is oil. but maybe not enough to be a problem since it's only 6 drops worth?

Do you think the Sica Gel would be better for the hair production and/or the tummy?

Thanks, sorry I keep bugging you.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How can any IF cause constipation? new
      #212497 - 09/11/05 09:22 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Cyndy - the fundamental basis of Heather's diet is to avoid foods/food combinations/meals etc. that over-stimulate the colon, and to eat foods that soothe and regulate its movements. IF can, if not eaten carefully enough, over-stimulate the colon and cause spasms - which, depending on the person can cause D or C. (Alternatively, SF soothes the colon). IF is *definitely* important for the function of the gut overall though, but for those of us with IBS, the colon and whole GI system is just a bit more sensitive to being over-stimulated. So it's kind of a balancing act - finding the right combination of IF and SF (amounts etc.). Make sense?

(I am not C - mostly A/D - but that is almost a direct quote from Heather's EFI.)

Re: Beth, which formula new
      #212535 - 09/12/05 06:18 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm not an expert. I've only used the gel and had no problem with it, personally. I don't know re: glycerin. When you say glycerin, I think suppositories. I'd go with the gel as that's what worked so well for me and continues to work effectively combined with diet.

Kate.

Re: Thanks new
      #212555 - 09/12/05 07:11 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

It's kind of hard to explain the discounts -- but once you get it all in your cart and are checking out -- there is a place where you can get more discounts. On the left hand side -- below where you choose your payment type and all that. There is a standard on-line discount - and you just put S in the box (that's the one I get - if I use one at all) and then there is one for bulk -- and some others for professionals or something. If my order doesn't qualify for free shipping - then I take the standard on-line discount for sure. If I just barely qualify for free shipping, then I leave it alone because shipping is usually more than the discount. Still -- their prices are very good - even without the additional discount.

As far as the dose -- since my hair is only thinning and falling out - and I don't actually have bald spots -- I am just going with the dose on the bottle. I will also try and up the amount in the foods I eat. If I don't notice any improvement in a couple months (she said it took 2), then I might try upping the amount for a while -- but I think it's expensive to do at that high of a dose. Specially with all the other "stuff" I have to do for IBS.

Wondering if the Jarrow ingredients are safe new
      #212577 - 09/12/05 08:08 AM
Augie

The ingredient list includes: Silicon 6mg (as Stabilized Orthosilicic Acid, Choline chloride 47% (as stabilizing agent), glycerine (vegetable) 33%, distilled water 18 %

I'm not sure if this would be bad for my tummy.

Anyone have any thoughts?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re:Retrograde is right, if I may elaborate.... new
      #212588 - 09/12/05 08:34 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

As Laurel said, in IBS people, SF soothes the colon and IF stimulates the colon. If you take in too much IF at a time, it will OVERSTIMULATE the colon. For IBS-D folks, this means diarrhea. For IBS-C folks, the overstimulation occurs and then the colon takes it one step further and shuts down - resulting in constipation.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

You must have ordered more than 1 to get free shipping, right? new
      #212593 - 09/12/05 08:51 AM
Augie

I agree, with all the other stuff we need for IBS (probiotics, digestive enzymes, magnesium, SFS, fennel tea)...this is obnoxiously expensive.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re:Retrograde is right, if I may elaborate.... new
      #212611 - 09/12/05 09:46 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Alicia and Laurel are quite correct. Perhaps that explains why laxatives are addictive and one must use an increasingly higher dose, i.e. to hyper-stimulate the gastrocolic reflex, with time. The body naturally wants to resist large amounts or triggers.

It's odd, though...for me spinach is one of my most g.i. soothing sources of IF.

Kate.

Re: You must have ordered more than 1 to get free shipping, right? new
      #212643 - 09/12/05 10:35 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I just took the discount on this one -- since I wasn't buying anything else. I think it ended up being just under a dollar.

I would probably buy it with my other things from now on though -- since I buy my probiotic & enzymes from them too.
(I live in a small town -- don't really have a health food store close -- and the one that is 45 min away has a small selection & high prices.) Then I would get the free shipping & discount -- on all of it!

So, about spinach... new
      #212689 - 09/12/05 12:28 PM
Augie

Kate, further down you said that spinach was acidic...but you find that it is soothing to your GI system?

I would think that acidic foods would be trouble for us?

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5468

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review