All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bananas emit ethylene gas
      #211879 - 09/08/05 06:45 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I was reading an article in the newspaper on how to pick out produce. One of the suggestions for ripening fruit was to put the fruit in a paper bag along with a tomato or a banana. It stated that the banana and tomato emit ethylene gas , which plants use to regulate growth.

If the banana and tomato emit this gas..what effect does this cause inside our body? Logically, wouldn't these fruits cause us to become more gassy?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bananas emit ethylene gas new
      #211893 - 09/08/05 07:56 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Bananas and tomatoes are also quite high in GALACTOSE!!!

Both wreck havoc on me and I do my best to avoid bananas and tomatoes/tomatoe products, the later being the most tempting, however I always pay the price and feel so very very ill.

Kate.

#211894 - 09/08/05 08:04 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hi darling, so sorry I haven't emailed back yet...its been complete madness this week :-(. the ethylene gas that is emitted by bananas is HUGHLY unlikely to occur in our insides. its not a gas that causes farting as far as I know! plus...most natural things emits different gases...the gas in our gut is created by the bacteria that naturally occur in our gut fermenting the food and gas is a bi product of that chemical reaction....

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#211899 - 09/08/05 08:36 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A nutritionist once told me that people with IBS should only eat VERY ripe bananas, because the process of ripening changes the starch in the banana to sugar, and it's the starch that causes the gas. Ever since then I've stuck to ripe bananas, but do you think she was, well, bananas?? (Sorry couldn't resist)

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#211921 - 09/09/05 05:20 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

its definetly true that the starch turns to sugar in a ripening banana...but beyond that (speaking as a clinical nutrition student here) i cannot understand her theory..that sugar is more digestible then starch for IBSers????? Firstly, there is no one ground rule for IBSers, it is an umbrella term for a condition that is caused by many different things for many different people. Secondly, the sugar in bananas is fructose which many people find very hard to digest. Third, all carbs have starch in them with varying degrees of sugar!! Should we all just stick to the sugar bowl? Who knows, she may have a valid point, but it doesn't really make sense to me.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

That's okay Dalia new
      #211963 - 09/09/05 07:39 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I know your stressed for time with school and work and your ballet...but I do miss ya!

So the bananas don't emit gas in the body...that's a good thing. It's nice having a future RD on the boards!

Are you able to eat naners and tomatoes okay?

Sorry about your D attack. I thought you were a strict D! Guess your an A after all. An A+ by the way!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 433 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 941

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review