All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What else could I have......
      #211777 - 09/08/05 12:17 PM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I just found out this week that I have gallstones. I mean what else could I possible have??? I have GERD, hital hernia and IBS. I mean I got all the stomach crap. I couldn't believe it when my nurse practitioner told me this. She also told me not to worry to much about it. How can you not worry when that is just something else I have to think about.

I do think that I pretty much have this IBS under control but am a little concerned about the gallstones. If there is anyone out there who has gone through this could you please let me know if I really do need to worry of if it is just something that isn't to big of a deal.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

--------------------
Michelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What else could I have...... new
      #211779 - 09/08/05 12:27 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't have gallstones ... yet! But my dad has them and so far I've inherited all of his ailments (with the exception of prostate cancer which is not possible for women, thank goodness)!

However, I understand how you feel. I balance IBS with blood sugar problems, food allergies and acid reflux. One can literally lose themselves in so many diets for so many different things!

I think gallstones are treatable using a medication that dissolves them. Of course, I have no idea how that medication might affect your IBS, GERD and hernia. If the medication doesn't work, the gallstones can usually be removed in a minor operation involving a microscopic procedure.

On the bright side (if there is one), I think the IBS diet, because it is low fat, would probably be suitable for some of your other conditions too.

By the way, the solution to not getting all these terrible stomach diagnoses is to stay away from doctors!

#211783 - 09/08/05 12:47 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I had really bad gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed about 4 years ago. The surgery wasn't too bad, in and out the same day. I'm not aware of any medications for gallstones but I certainly don't know that for sure! I guess they only become an issue if they impair the function of the gallbladder. My gallbladder was so full of stones that they were coming out and getting stuck in the bile ducts around the gallbladder, talk about horrible pain!! Went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack in the middle of the night!

I never had gerd issues until AFTER I had my gallbladder out! Now I take medication daily. I started out on Previcid but I've switched to the prescription pepcid which is milder but still seems to handle my problems!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#211793 - 09/08/05 12:58 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I did have to have my gallbladder removed last September. Four small incisions and a fairly easy recovery. It did really hurt to laugh for the first two weeks - so no comedians allowed in the house!

Good luck,
Leigh

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3923 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 806

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review