All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-A and I need advice
      #211750 - 09/08/05 10:08 AM
Bernie

Reged: 08/27/05

Well after 2 good weeks I had an attack this morning.
I would guess that I would call myself IBS-A.
I wouldn't call my bm's lately normal, but there wasn't any d and I had zero cramps and pain. Yesterday I only went a little and I knew what I was instore for today. I've read somewhere on this site that someone called it a poo plug. That is exactly how I would describe it. It's not a true constipation with me. It's just that what didn't get evacuated yesterday now stands in the way of what's coming today. Thankfully it only lasted about an hour. And the pain was much less severe than in the past. I think I have the Peppermint caps to thank for that.
When you have one of those days that your bm's aren't what they should be and you can predict what's going to happen tomorrow, is there anything I can do right then that could elieviate the issue?

I have been very lucky where the IBS hasn't interfered with work. It usually hits me very early in the morning or late in the afternoon, but today would have been a disaster if I wasn't on vacation this week.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-A and I need advice new
      #211752 - 09/08/05 10:14 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

The same kind of thing happens to me. If I don't go enough, I worry about what's coming. Because I just KNOW it's coming! I usually just try to slam myself with lots of peppermint/fennel and eat extra safe, to try to head it off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it works just a little (no full-out attacks). Hope that made sense and/or helps!

#211757 - 09/08/05 10:46 AM
Bernie

Thanks Mellisa!
I keep reading peoples posts and see that they take immodium and other anit-d meds. I haven't tried that because I'm afraid of what might happen later. If I take it the night before on those days that I know what is coming, would it also stop the spasms and cramps?

#211769 - 09/08/05 11:28 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

No way! Then you'd REALLY be backed up and asking for trouble when it finally hits. At least I wouldn't. That's why I do the fennel/peppermint (tea/caps) for the spasms and cramps. In worse case scenerios I break down and take a Levsinex. Oh, and of course there's always my heat pad.

#211796 - 09/08/05 01:00 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

IBS A is all about prevention and very gingerly treatment (so as not to swing back and forth). I up my SFS and drink more tea and water whenever I feel I might start to be backed up. I usually lower the SFS back down once I am pooping as normal. Nothing works so well as extra water though.
When I really think I am getting C I take a Phillip's choc chew. I just do this every so often. They don't cause D or dependency but I don't like to mess around.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#211892 - 09/08/05 07:50 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

I think most of the people here who take Immodium lean more towards D than A or C. I'm an A, with C being predominant. If I have to take an Immodium, I'm C for a week. I haven't taken any in a long time, cause I know what happens & I'm trying to keep things as 'natural' as possible. I did have to take one pill the other day, so I could make my dr's appt. (Normal dose is 2 pills, I take 1...I probably won't have a bm for a week now though.) If you can avoid the Immodium, I would, it seems to make things worse, at least for me. I do take it though when I'm having an attack & I *know* I HAVE to be somewhere. I just pay for it later.

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

#211980 - 09/09/05 08:50 AM
Bernie

Thanks for the advice!

well, that's what's great about IBS-A! new
      #212137 - 09/09/05 04:47 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

It sucks and I haven't figured out any way to avoiud the plug. i ahd one this morning. Followed by a lot of corn. Stupid me. I feel your pain, very literally. I can say that when i was really badly C this summer, an enema(shudder) was the only thing that made my poo not hurt. I wonder if that might not help get rid of a plug, and make the D easier to get out too.

Only a thought. Ugh, I hate the plug so much!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Yeah, I'm more on the C side too... new
      #212138 - 09/09/05 04:55 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

and I've never tried immodium. Though how nice it might be to stop a D attack, LOL!
i'm usually happy to see D because my C gets so damn painful though.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1785

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review