All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New Patient???
      #211559 - 09/07/05 12:36 PM
andy_b

Reged: 09/07/05

Hello,
My mother has been suffering from stomach pains for some months now. This pain is off and on. However there are some important differences from what I know with IBS. So I want to clarify here, if it sounds like IBS or not.

My Mom is 48. She has been having pains from about 10 months. She had endoscopy and other tests done (excluding Colonoscopy). Everything came out clear. However all of this was in a foreign country. So we are getting it re-done here in the US just to be sure.

So far here in the US, we are scheduled for endoscopy next week. The ultrasound came out clear this last week.

BUT HERE IS what I have found out from her. She says the pain is only in her upper abdomen. Right below her lungs. And she says she has neither diahrrea like stools or constipation.

However the pain is excruciating for her and it strikes out of nowhere.

So if you guys can help me out here and tell me if the symptoms she has sound like IBS or not. (especially upper abdomen pain and NO diarrhea or constipation).

Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New Patient??? new
      #211599 - 09/07/05 02:43 PM
Crossmaker

Andy, those sound like the symptoms my mom had when she was diagnosed with diverticulitis. You might want to do a search on that and read up a bit; hopefully you will find out soon what's bothering her so your mom can be helped!

Prayers for you both,
Donna

#211610 - 09/07/05 03:17 PM
andy_b

Hi and thanks for your response,
Diverticulosis is thought to be caused by a lack of fibrous foods in one's diet. And abdominal pain is typically in the lower left side.

We're Asian and our staple food is typically rich in fibre. And my mother's pain is in the upper abdomen, about right where the stomach is. So right now, I don't think this is it.

Thanks for the reply though,
Andy

EDIT: Also while I am at it, I would like to ask a question for all of you... where do you get pain typically when you have an IBS attack?

thx

Edited by andy_b (09/07/05 03:18 PM)

#211645 - 09/07/05 07:29 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

Could it be gallbladder? I know my dr told me that gallbladder pain was typically higher up, almost middle to top of ribs, it seemed like.
My personal experience when I have an IBS attack, the pain is usually lower abdomen, and will go all the way thru me, from my stomach to my back. It feels like the pain actually goes straight thru, I'll have stomach cramps & pain & horrid back pain as well.
Good luck to you & your mom...hope you figure it out!

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

Since you asked. new
      #211662 - 09/07/05 09:44 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

EDIT: Also while I am at it, I would like to ask a question for all of you... where do you get pain typically when you have an IBS attack?

thx

Mine has always been in my upper right hand side, just under the last ribs. I questioned my GI doc about this and he said the pain doesn't always have to be low. But describing your mom's pain, it sounds more like a gall bladder attack. My gall bladder attacks started out feeling like a heart attack then moved down to exactly where you explained your mom's are. They came and went out of the blue...well, not exactly..they WERE triggered by eating something high fat. I was 46 when I had to have mine removed. The attacks are more common in women in their 40's than any other age.

It is a simple ultrasound test to find out about gall stones. I would suggest it to your mom.

Kandee

--------------------

#211705 - 09/08/05 07:41 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm going to cast my vote for the gallbladder possibility. Besides the location, the "excruciating" part is perfectly accurate.

When I have IBS pain, it's in my lower middle belly and feels like cramping.

Your mother's pain isn't quite low enough for classic appendicitis, but it's on the right side (in both senses), so I would make sure the doctors check for that as well.

HTH. Good luck to you and your mother getting this figured out.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#211973 - 09/09/05 08:25 AM
andy_b

yeah it could be the gallbladder. But the ultrasound came out negative for gallstones. Maybe it is something else to do with the gallbladder?

Anyway, she has an endoscopy appt. this thursday. I will keep this updated.

Does this thread move to the top when I add a new reply?

later
Andy

Yes, a thread moves to the top when a new reply is entered. -nt- new
      #211994 - 09/09/05 09:46 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1328

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review