All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
White flour "not healthy" lecture
      #211435 - 09/06/05 07:49 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Got a lecture tonight on how white flour is not healthy and turns to glue in your body and is addictive because it's nothing but sugar, on and on and on...

My reply is that if I relied on whole grain wheat, etc, I'd starve to death because my system simply CANNOT tolerate it - I've tried!!

What is the deal - is this a fad, I mean I know a lot of us have to rely on white flour. One sandwich place I went to recently DID NOT HAVE WHITE BREAD in any form!!!! Ugh!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I agree, it's absolutely ridiculous new
      #211446 - 09/06/05 09:02 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't know if it's a fad, really, but a girl can hope.

Honestly, I don't see why it's such a big deal for people to mind their own business - that's one of my pet peeves. Do I go around lecturing everyone I know who eats dairy products, just because I think it's unhealthy? I think not.

Well, French Women don't have a problem with it new
      #211448 - 09/06/05 09:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

And according to a currently popular book, "they don't get fat!"

Truly, if it bugs you, don't eat it! If it causes you discomfort and pain, then obviously DON'T PERPETUATE THE CYCLE!!! It's not worth it.

Kate.

Re: I agree, it's absolutely ridiculous new
      #211450 - 09/06/05 09:25 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Ugh, lecturing is the WORST. Honestly, why do people care how I eat? I hate how people see one TV show or read one article and suddenly they're nutrition experts with the license to tell you how you should be eating... *groan*

OK rant over

I have to chime in here.... new
      #211463 - 09/07/05 06:08 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I get tired of it too! Bottom line is, we are all very unique in what our bodies tolerate! Those of us with IBS vary from the types of SFS we can take to the kind of calcium we can tolerate! When you start determining what each of us can tolerate in the food category....it is just HUGE!

My point is this...the way I look at it, too much of anything, whether it is water or whole grain or raw veggies or whatever is a bad thing. For some of us, any amount of some thigs is a bad thing! I know all of our processed, sprayed, preserved, colored....foods that we ingest are not stellar, but good grief! We have to eat. We have to opperate within the confines of finances, bodily tolerance and common sense. When folks start lecturing me on how bad refined sugar, refined flour ect... is for me I just smile and nod...and go right ahead and eat what is right for me!

I know, now I'm lecturing! Sorry! But I'm like you, I get very tired of hearing it all the time! There is no one perfect food, supplement, drink, or anything that will cure it all, fix it all, stregthen it all for everybody..otherwise we'd all be super healthy and live eternally!

Ok,,,,Ok...I'll be quiet!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Yep. I think the next fad is going to be... new
      #211565 - 09/07/05 12:55 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

All the whole grain stuff. The new FDA regulations are pushing it, Oprah's pushing it, everybody's into whole grain. Sigh. I'd love to join in, but it makes me SOOOO sick. Michelle - I'm with you. I tell people I'd starve to death without white bread.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

You and Michelle are so nice and polite new
      #211575 - 09/07/05 01:39 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Here I just tell people to f*** off. LOL

I have to say that ultimately I don't think it's such a bad thing that the FDA, etc, are pushing whole grains... BECAUSE... keep in mind how the average American eats: McDonald's, convenience foods, frozen dinners, CRAP. People in general don't eat nearly enough in the way of fruits and vegetables (ask people you know if they consider french fries a "vegetable", and laugh when they say yes), and they probably COULD benefit from switching to whole grains.

What bugs me is when average people on the street hear these things and suddenly become The Authority On Nutrition and Diet (tm), and take it upon themselves to "correct" the eating habits of everyone they know. Aggravating!

I'm with bamagirl, anyway - no one food is a miracle. You need all of it, in moderation.

*climbs down off soapbox*

Re: Well said, Casey. I totally agree. Also interesting... new
      #211585 - 09/07/05 01:51 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

When I was teaching I discovered EVERYBODY is an expert on education - even if they haven't been in a school in 50 years. I got so sick and tired of being bashed, criticized, told I got paid too much for what I do, too many holidays, blah blah blah. I used to tell them that for every hour I spent in the classroom, I spent 1 hour of my own time in prep/extra curricular. I was a Music teacher for God's sake! I spent HOURS every week on bands, trips, fundraisers, concerts, .....
I had 250 students. Every time I gave a test, I had 250 papers to mark. 250 report cards, ....
Eventually, I got so sick of it all that when strangers asked me what I did I said that I was a musician. Whew! Glad I got that off my chest!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I'm ready for people to tell us that wearing bras is unhealthy.... new
      #211601 - 09/07/05 02:47 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

that way we can burn them all!

Oh gosh...I should stay off the boards when I am under the influence of a decongestant!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: I'm ready for people to tell us that wearing bras is unhealthy.... new
      #211623 - 09/07/05 04:47 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I must be ahead of this trend. As far as I'm concerned, wearing bras is unhealthy

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1413 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2784

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review