All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New member with IBS
      #211106 - 09/05/05 05:08 PM
emily_m

Reged: 09/05/05

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this message board but have visited this website several times over the last few years. I was diagnosed with IBS-D a few years ago due to high stress in my life. Looking back, I've had IBS for 17 years if not longer. I've always had abdominal/intestinal issues when under stress. I also have acid reflux and a hiatal hernia.

I borrowed the IBS Diet book from the library once before and am considering buying it. I just don't know if I can give up some of the food choices (dairy and some fats).

I want to lose weight but have trouble with most diets because they make me very C or crampy. Most of it was probably due to high intake of insoluble fibers and a drastic reduction of solubles (ie wheat pasta that had me doubled over on the floor). I don't eat several of the trigger foods at this point.

I'm trying to reduce my stress, but that isn't always easy. I think that my diet should be a main focus now.

I want to lose weight and feel healthy for once. What are the hardest parts about following this diet? How hard is it to maintain?

I'm hopeful and ready to start feeling better.
Emily

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New member with IBS new
      #211182 - 09/05/05 10:25 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

well i maintain becuse i'm ibs-d mostly...i'll tell you when i first started the diet it didn't help me right away. i stopped seeming to have as many attacks, but i still had them. I know that certin foods will bother me, so i just don't eat it, because it's not worth it to me to be in the pain, then get cramps and gas....becuse once it starts it'll take a day or two to calm back down.....

i'd lost weight on the diet, but i don't eat a whole lot, becuse i'm so scared of food. i have ALOT of triggers...including dairy dairy products, whey, high fructose corn syrup, and pretty much anything that's not natural. it was hard at first, becuase i was so sick of being sick. but now i've found foods i like and stick with it.

i've never had an overweight problem, so me telling you don't eat whats bad for you, i know isn't gong to help you too much..becuse i'm sorta forced to follow the diet. but i found stuff i really enjoy eating, like i loveeee soy delicious icecreams, (which is my HUGE craving...but i'm understanding that can give girlie problems...lol) but taking it day by day can help...

reducing stress will probablly help alot, it helps me when i destress which isn't alot of times, i have a 5 year old, and i'm a server...which is a high-stress job....but going on the boards has helped me through tough times...when i thougnt no one really could understand what i was going through.

it always seems to get worse before it gets better...but it gets better. i have my days where i'm sick of my body...sick of being sick...and frusterated...and ready to try to run away from myself. and i even get envious of people who can eat regular foods, and think to myself they have no idea how lucky they are not to constantly worry if they are going to have diareah..you know..
but we are al here....and we are rooting for you! we've all been there..you know..

so welcome

#211188 - 09/06/05 12:10 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

When I was stabilising, following the diet wasn't too bad as it made me feel so much better! I now cheat occasionally, but as I'm stable and I know all my tolerances, I can get my symptoms back on track quickly if I do.

You do need to give the diet a proper chance and follow it 100% to stabilise tho - if you don't you might never fully get there.

It's worth it. I highly recommend you get "IBS: The First Year" as it's a fantastic book, no matter when you were diagnosed.

If you make sure you don't go overboard on the sweet stuff, you're quite likely to lose some weight just by following the diet as it's so low-fat and healthy. And if you're anything like me losing weight will be so much easier when your symptoms are under control too.

Good luck.

#211251 - 09/06/05 09:23 AM
emily_m

Reged: 09/05/05

Hi Linz and Lyndsey. Thanks for your replies.

My doctors have told me to reduce stress, which isn't always easy, avoid fats, and take anti-anxiety medicines. They gave me an anti-spasm medicine once too. Whenever I asked what I can eat, they didn't really know what to say.

I'm tired of feeling this way, of having D every day, and being too aware of things going on in my stomach and intestines.

I'm going to buy the books today and see if I can make this work. I really want to feel better.

Thanks again!
Emily

#211465 - 09/07/05 06:15 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I think the books will really help. If stress and anxiety trigger attacks for you, consider doing the IBS hypnotherapy program. It's definitely helped me short-circuit some attacks and make other attacks much more bearable. (Not to imply that I'm having a huge number of attacks - with Heather's diet plus hypnotherapy I'm pretty stable. But this year has been full of family health crises which have led to a few attacks.)

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2955 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 423

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review