All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sick but still going now 10 months
      #211057 - 09/05/05 11:07 AM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I have made it to 10 months with no attack even going through the stomach flu this last week. I was off work all week not being able to eat anything at all. I even ended up in the ER last Wednesday but only diagnosed with a really bad case of stomach flu which is finally getting better. I didn't realize how much I miss food even the food that I can eat as much as I did last week when all I could eat was soup and toast. I am also having to deal with a broken ankle that has been broken for almost a month but only recently diagnosed as broken.

But during all this I still have managed to keep going and not having an attack. I love it. Only two more months and it will be a year. I can't wait to say its been a year since my last attack. I know this diet works and having this message board is also a god send. I wish I could be on the board more but I don't have a computer at home yet so I can only get it on when I am near a computer.

I hope everyone is doing great and please lets pray for the victims of Hurricane Katrina and let them know they are in our hearts and prayers.

--------------------
Michelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

That's awesome Michelle new
      #211061 - 09/05/05 12:16 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Please share with us what supplements/meds you take to help control your symptoms!

What foods do you eat and find most helpful? Do you eat the SF before the IF?

Are you able to eat wheat breads, brown rice...or any other high IF foods like this? Or do you basically stick to the white rice, white bread, peeling, cooking, and chopping the fruits and veggies. It seems like a lot of C people can eat fresh fruits with the peel and some wheat products.

I'm anxious to hear what advice you have. And I'm so sure you will soon be posting your year without an attack!

Re: Sick but still going now 10 months new
      #211112 - 09/05/05 05:22 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm sorry you're having other problems, but how great your IBS is under control. Hurray!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: That's awesome Michelle new
      #211216 - 09/06/05 07:47 AM
Mitch

I take Zelnorm and Metamucil. I take four tablets of the Metamucil everyday. Lets see about the SF and IF I guess I really don't pay that much attention to that. I just eat. Now that I have been on the Zelnorm I can pretty much eat almost anything that I want. The fruits I have never had a problem with eating them with the skin on. I don't like brown rice to much. I do like wheat bread and can eat that and white bread. I do eat alot of chicken and stay away from all dairy and red meat. Sometimes I can get away with eating a hamburger every once in a while.

I hope this helps. I did follow the diet pretty much to the t when my IBS was really flaring up but now I can lax a little but not to much.

Let me know if you need anything else.

--------------------
Michelle

#211221 - 09/06/05 07:54 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

So, how many grams of fiber is in your metamucil? Do you take it all at once in the morning or spread it out. I think there is only 2 grams of fiber in 4 tablets, but I'm not sure.

How long have you been on Zelnorm? It didn't help me much.

Do you take magnesium or probiotics or digestive enzymes?

Can you eat the wheat bread alone...or do you eat the white before the wheat? How do you do with raw veggies? Can you even eat apples with skin and wheat cereals?

It sounds like you don't have to eat SF before your IF.

I am following the diet to the t and have not had Bms much at all. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I wish I could be where you're at. That would be my dream!

#211258 - 09/06/05 09:48 AM
Mitch

I don't have the amount of how much metamucil here with me at work. But I do take all four of them at once. That amount seems to help. I have been taking Zelnorm for I think about 5 of 6 months now and it still seems to be helping. I know for some people the Zelnorm stops working for them. I wish it would have worked for you.

Now for the magnesium and the other stuff no I don't take any of that and never have. I can eat the whole wheat alone or with other stuff. I do fine with raw veggies they don't bother me. I can eat apples with the skin on I have never had a problem with that. No I really don't have to eat SF before I have IF. I guess I am just lucky that way. I do sometimes get bloated but not to often.

I am not sure what else I can do to help you. I sure wish the medicine would help you. Have you tried Citracel. I was also taking that but the Metamucil seems to help just as good and is cheaper for me.

I sure do wish you well. Just remember I was in the same boat as you and I was having attacks every week and sometimes 2 to 3 times a week and now I don't. Do you workout? I know that helps even if you just go walking. I do notice a difference to if I don't work out to if I do.

Just let me know if you need anything else. My e-mail address is on here and if you want to e-mail me go ahead and I will try and help anyway I can.

--------------------
Michelle

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1410 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 900

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review