Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie visits Indian restaurant
      #210908 - 09/04/05 11:22 AM
MusicLady

Reged: 09/04/05
Loc: Texas, USA

Hello everyone, I'm new :)

I've been diagnosed for a month now and have tried to read everything on this site, so please forgive me if my question is redundant. There is so much to learn!

Today I have a situation... it's my friend's birthday and we want to take her to dinner. She's from South Africa and Indian food is her most favorite so that's what she picked. There are four of us going. None of them know about my illness; they are relatively new friends and I haven't been sick long. Plus, this friend & I went to this Indian restaurant just 2 months ago before I got sick. (I had rice & chicken korma which is a yogurt sauce; I'm guessing I can't eat that now.)

Anyway I am freaking out; I called the restaurant ahead of time; they said they can't make any plain dishes for me! So, not knowing about Indian cuisine, I'm thinking I'm going to be limited to plain rice. From what I've read I should avoid almost everything: spices, ghee, yogurt sauce, coconut milk... I've been following Heather's diet and have even been "regular" for about two weeks now. I don't want to get sick, of course, and I REALLY want to avoid having to take my new prescription meds (Levbid).

My question is, is there anyone who is familiar with Indian food who could suggest an IBS-safe dish? Not ingredients, but like, an actual dish I could recognize on a menu?

Thanks anyone who can help :) Dinner is in five hours! Oops...

--------------------
Michelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie visits Indian restaurant new
      #210917 - 09/04/05 12:05 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

When I go for Indian, I typically order chicken tikka or some other variation on the same idea - it's chicken that's marinated and then grilled, so there's no sauce on it at all. Have that with plain basmati rice and you should be fine. Also, skip the appetizers - there's none that are safe.

Spices are fine, by the way. Most of them are not IBS triggers, unless you happen to be specifically sensitive to one of them. But you're right - avoid the ghee, yogurt, and excessive use of coconut milk wherever possible.

Good luck and enjoy! Indian is one of my absolute favorites!

#210920 - 09/04/05 12:27 PM
rob n

Reged: 08/18/05
Loc: WA

Welcome here! I only have a few months on this new way of eating myself, but know how well it can work to either prevent or minimize symptoms we would rather live without.
Sounds like you are learning fast at identifying killer food items.
Indian food is one of my very favorites! When eating out, I don't ASK them if they will cater to my needs, I tell them what I must have to stay healthy. They Can make my favorite (prawn biryani) and nan (tandori breads) without offensive ingredients. I can have sips of room temp water instead of the chai tea. Often I bring my own tea bag. Sometimes they have vegtables that are ok also. I ask about spices,grease, and texture. If they aren't willing to answer the q's or cook my way I do just what you mentioned...rice only. If friends or waiters think I'm strange or obsessive about food, so what. They're not the one who will suffer the consequences! Enjoy.

--------------------
Robert IBS-D 6 Yrs

#210928 - 09/04/05 12:57 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Welcome!

My family used to live in India, so I eat out at Indian places for most special occasions...I really love it, but let's just say I've had some "unpleasant" experiences since my IBS diagnosis.
I have learned to stay away from dishes with dairy (most of the deserts, and some of the entrees) and lots of oil and spices (the spicy stuff is a trigger for me, but not for everyone.) The easiest thing for me to order is a simple vegetable curry, and ask them to make it pretty mild. The Indian version of a "vegetable" dish includes well-cooked potatoes, carrots, and peas. Put it over rice, and it's delicious and fairly safe. The naan (flat bread)should be ok too, as long as you don't dip it in the sauce they give you. There is a big difference between "Chicken Tikka" and "Chicken Tikka Masala." The latter is served with a red curry cream sauce that kills me...stay away!
Most importantly (for me) is to not eat too much, which I tend to do a lot when I go out. Also, don't stress too much! Think about how much fun you will be having with your friends, and imagine yourself enjoying a calm and relaxed dinner.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Julia

#210932 - 09/04/05 01:04 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You can take a look at this post to see what I eat at an Indian restaurant.

HTH. Enjoy yourself.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#210938 - 09/04/05 02:08 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Depending on what kind of Indian restaurant, you should have several safe choices. I prefer South Indian, which is vegetarian...my favorite South Indian dish is masala dosai (Sand already recommended that)....its a rice crepe filled with spiced potatoes and onions and served with different chutneys. There are several variations of dosai out there, with different fillings, so read the descriptions to make sure they are safe. Another South Indian dish that I like is utappam...it's a thick lentil-rice pancake served with different chutneys. If it's a North Indian restaurant, the safest bet would be a chicken dish like chicken tikka or tandoori. Enjoy!!!

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1774 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2276

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review