All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Alcohol in college...
      #209627 - 08/29/05 09:43 PM
KellyAnn21

Reged: 11/12/04
Loc: PA

I know theres been many posts about this topic but i wanted to ask this anyway...I was wondering what kind of alcohol won't make me really sick. This past summer I drank a lot...(like the 18 year old I am..) and didn't get sick that often with it. I know a lot of people said beer is especially bad for IBS but..I mean- its college and what else is there to drink?? Does anyone else not get sick off of beer and if not..what else can I drink that could be easy to find on college campuses?? I just think parties are part of a college life..and i don't want to miss out but I also dont want to be so sick the next morning..uhh.. thanks!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Alcohol in college... new
      #209677 - 08/30/05 06:34 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but beer kills me. I absolutely can't drink the stuff. I can get away with a glass of wine or a mixed drink with dinner, but beer and any other malted beverages like wine coolers always bother me.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#209681 - 08/30/05 06:50 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I don't know...I've never felt the need to drink in college. Sure, to some extent that's because I know that my alcohol tolerance is nil, so I can get drunk or at least tipsy very fast. But I don't get why drinking alcohol is such a big thing. Drink water and tell people it's vodka and see who notices a difference. And you CAN have fun at a party and not be drunk, because let's face it, if you have to get drunk to have fun, it's probably not much of a party.

And look on the bright side: You can save people's lives by always being the designated driver.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#209696 - 08/30/05 07:18 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Technically speaking, it is best not to drink alcohol with IBS. HOWEVER, you gotta do what you gotta do. I personally found hard liquor hardest on my stomach. Beer isn't great because of the carbonation but some find it OK. I personally find wine the best bet. The best thing you can do if you're going to drink is have a good dose of soluble fibre first. IE a bowl of rice, slices of white bread, pasta, etc.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#209698 - 08/30/05 07:24 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

It's nice to hear that Avidan. I never felt the need to drink. I can't stand the taste of beer. I do like a drink of wine once in a while and I love kalhua sombreros and Bailey's and coffee. No more though.
I always thought it was more fun to watch others make fools of themselves than to do it myself.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#209706 - 08/30/05 07:47 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

alcohol has done some real damage to me - throwing up after three drinks, on a full stomach, for example. i'm really sensitive to it. part of that is probably my love of sour drinks, which are loaded with sugar, and tougher on your system. the easiest drinks for me to handle are vodka drinks - mixed with whatever you usually find to be a safe drink for your stomach. i find vodka and a little bit of cranberry juice to be okay, or mixing the vodka with half-cranberry half-club soda, but that depends on how carbonation is for you.

i agree, though, that it is possible to have fun in college without drinking - i didn't drink till i was 20, and i've all but eliminated drinking this year, my first out of school. although there are some drinks that are easier on your ibs that others, none of them are safe, and your system can't handle a lot of drinking. you should really save it for special occasions, and always keep it to one or maybe two.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#209721 - 08/30/05 08:06 AM
KellyAnn21

Reged: 11/12/04
Loc: PA

Thanks you guys!! After hearing your responses..I feel better...I probably will still drink but not nearly as much and never on an empty stomach. Its just hard starting college and wanting to meet new people... when mostly everyone here drinks...I also have to be careful on thursday nights..because i have an 8 AM class on Friday! That wouldn't be good!! Thanks!

#209739 - 08/30/05 08:54 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

The worst: BEER! (honestly, I can't drink the stuff). The only things I could/can tolerate are hard liquor (vodka) and wine.

Kate.

I agree Avidan... new
      #209797 - 08/30/05 12:53 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

And you CAN have fun at a party and not be drunk, because let's face it, if you have to get drunk to have fun, it's probably not much of a party.

Totally agree I'm in college too and I don't drink at all, and to be honest I don't really miss it at all either. My alcohol tolerance is pretty much nil too - the most I can do is a glass of wine with/after dinner, but only if I'm really stable.

Every time I'm tempted to drink my mind always goes back to that one house party where I had 1 screwdriver and was in the bathroom with D for an hour It's was absolutely AWFUL, and I have no desire to do a repeat of that

YES, you can have a good time without drinking. If you're having a really good time, people just assume you're drinking. And if you don't want to answer people's questions, just pretend you're drinking. (Though it IS fun to make us stories to tell drunk people why you don't drink...lol )

Hope that helps a little... If you do choose to drink though, I think you're on the right track with sticking to drinks that don't have other triggers (carbonation, milk, fruit juices etc.), like wine and vodka with water and such, and always on a full stomach after lots of SF. Good luck, and HAVE FUN!

Re: I agree Avidan and Retrograde..... new
      #209871 - 08/30/05 05:10 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Seriously... I was one of the ones who helped the Don put all the drunk girls to bed at night because I was one of the only ones sober by then. Really.... what's the point??????????
Drink a water or if you're adventurous, an iced tea or a cranberry juice - people will assume it's mixed. And who cares? What matters is your health and happiness. If drinking is NOT worth the pain it causes later, so be it. You don't have to justify yourself to ANYONE. If you choose to have a few drinks, fine. Just be prepared to deal with the consequences, and prepare yourself as best as you can (WITH LOTS of SOLUBLE FIBRE) and lots of water to help dilute the effects of the alcohol.
I've been there. I was the one who helped the Don put all the other drunk girls to bed in the BACCHUS position. I was sober. Did I have a great time? YES!!!!!!!!! You don't need alcohol to have fun. If you choose to, choose wise.
Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: I agree Avidan and Retrograde..... new
      #209904 - 08/30/05 06:23 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Actually, being sober, I found was more fun! (Also much less fattening and way sexier!) I usually stuck to overpriced waters and seltzers/spritzers. Truly, alcohol is overrated.
Coffee, on the other hand....

Kate, IBS-D.

Beer = HUGE no no for me, makes me more sick than ANYTHING else! -nt- new
      #209912 - 08/30/05 06:36 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#209985 - 08/30/05 09:14 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

What exactly do you call cranberry juice and vodka anyway? Is that a cosmopolitan? A cape cod? How do I order???

#210041 - 08/31/05 08:14 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i would just order 'a cranberry and vodka,' though i do believe it's called a cape cod. a cosmo (again, not super-sure) is roughly the same, but with much more vodka (or much less juice!), and a bit of lime.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Just one thing to add ... new
      #210044 - 08/31/05 08:22 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

At parties, stay away from any punch, "jungle juice" whatever any boys have mixed up in a big rubbermaid container .... those things are not safe whatsoever, IBS aside. If you're at a party and you don't want to be that girl who's not drinking, I'd say get a beer from the keg and just sip it slowly all night. You'll have fun. I wouldn't expect too many sophisticated mixed drinks at these parties. If they have some hard liquor and mixes, make yourself some vodka and cranberry, heavy on the cranberry. Don't let someone else mix it for you. You'll figure it all out as you go.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2858 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2114

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review