All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
oh man...im so upset and at college
      #209043 - 08/27/05 05:35 AM
KellyAnn21

Reged: 11/12/04
Loc: PA

Okay..well I brought all the "safe" foods to school and thought that I wouldn't get sick at all...wrong. this morning..I had D sooo bad..I had to go back down the hall to the bathroom like 4 times. Our bathroom is so tiny..there are 3 stalls for 43 girls!!!! Being sick like this away from home..makes me not want to eat..AT ALL..and I know thats bad for me..but I don't know what I did wrong..I ate grilled chicken, has some pretzels and graham crackers and some candy...I dont know. It was the first time I went here..in about 3 days. I really just hope I can do this..I'm so nervous and upset. The only place I wanna be when i'm like this is home, and thats 3 hours away. I took an Imodium and I just made some tea in the microwave, so hopefully that'll help. I don't even know why I wrote this post...maybe just looking for come comforting words....Maybe does is have to do with the fact that I started the pill?? please help me...

Edited by KellyAnn21 (08/27/05 05:46 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: oh man...im so upset and at college new
      #209045 - 08/27/05 05:56 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Kelly,
I'm sorry you're feeling sick. You didn't do anything wrong. You are not sick because of the foods you ate -- they sound safe to me. You are sick because you have IBS and it takes a long time to stabilize, even when you are doing everything right. Be patient and keep going with the diet. You'll get better soon.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#209105 - 08/27/05 01:27 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Hi Kelly,
It sucks having IBS while trying anything new in my life. Just your bathroom situation would cause some anxiety which of course sets the bowel into overdrive! Keep eating safely like you are and hopefully when the living situation gets more familiar to you the tummy will settle down. Do you have the Hypno CD's? If not do something relaxing and drink plenty of fennel and peppermint tea. Please let us know how it goes and you can always get a friendly ear around here! Good luck with school.......

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Umm... new
      #209125 - 08/27/05 03:40 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

You just started a new school - that can be a stressful!!! And stress can give you the runs! I mean, you have a new home, new friends, a new occupation (or day to day activity, whatever) in a new city and three stalls for 43 girls! (yikes) Don't stress that you're having an attack. You have ibs and this is what you have to deal with.

Heck, I consider myself stable and I get D every morning. You're not alone girl.

So, now that we got the sympathizing part out of the way... practical solutions? Do you take fiber before you go to bed? That's helped me a lot. Sounds like the immodium is a good idea, and maybe some fiber as soon as you get up in the morning and some nice soothing peppermint tea. Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll be fine. (any cute guys at this new school that could destress you?)

#209133 - 08/27/05 04:04 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

As a college grad, I remember my first week of college. I ate ALL of the right foods and still got really sick. I had to call in sick and miss one of my first exams ever...I was so upset and just wanted to go home to my nice safe home--and bathroom! But, as time went by I did so much better! I still got flare ups when I was stressed, and even when I wasn't. That's what is difficult about IBS--you never know when it'll hit. But be strong--it's so tough to go through all of it now, but once your belly settles back down you'll be ok! Enjoy college..it flies by, and I know you don't wanna be in the bathroom the whole time!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: In college too! new
      #209157 - 08/27/05 05:43 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Hi Kelly Ann,
I am 21 and I am getting ready to graduate college. I had the worst time of my life with IBS my freshman year of college. I had the same problem with D all the time, I still tried to eat right but it is really hard when you have no money or the time to fix good meals. My parents got very worried about me because I ended up losing alot of weight. For some reason after my first couple months at college the D got a little better and I learned how to manage it.(Unfortunately 4 years later now I am C.lol) I think it just takes time to get used to a new place and surroundings. Its alot to take in at one time. If you ever need to talk to another college student I am here for ya! I was on the pill too, maybe talk to your doctor if you have noticed changes because you could change pills until you found one you liked.

~From: Kelsey Ann...isnt that funny thats my middle name too!lol

#209260 - 08/28/05 12:57 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

As advice goes, I really can't add to what has been said already. But I am interested to know where you are in school because I'm a sophmore in UPenn and I see you're in PA.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#209325 - 08/28/05 10:29 PM
KellyAnn21

Yeah, I'm from Philadelphia but I go to school in Ct...Quinnipiac

#209326 - 08/28/05 10:31 PM
KellyAnn21

Hey..even though drinking is bad for our stomachs..have u still done it?? especially in college?

#209334 - 08/29/05 06:02 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Well, you really shouldn't drink ...

That being said, I definitely do, and so do many others. You're in college. There are some less gut-ripping drinks you can try. Even though it's ubiquitous, do your best to stay away from beer. It even gives non-IBS people the "beer sh**s," imagine what it would do to you!

Check out this older thread for some helpful info: web page

Hope that helps!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1701 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1162

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review