All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Pectin... new
      #208637 - 08/25/05 08:37 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Pectin is a soluble fiber - why exactly is it bad for IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pectin... new
      #208652 - 08/25/05 10:34 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, what's wrong with pectin? It's an SF that comes from plants, mainly citrus fruits, and studies have shown that it helps both C and D (like most SFS). How does it make IBS worse?

Re: Pectin... my bad. new
      #208654 - 08/25/05 10:41 PM
Ballinsw

Reged: 08/25/05

I think I was reading the wrong side of the good bad. Woohoo! Pectin is good again!

Wilson

Re: Pectin... my bad. new
      #208655 - 08/25/05 10:42 PM
lalala

Woohoo! Thanks for clearing that up. And welcome to the boards, by the way.

Re: Cure for IBS? new
      #208658 - 08/25/05 11:07 PM
lalala

I'm not going to argue this guy's sincerity. It sounds like he does want to help, however, he doesn't seem to do a very good job at interpreting the information he's collected. He describes gluten sensitivity, but what about it? If you're gluten sensitive than you probably have celiac disease, which means you don't necessarily have IBS. Plus he lists the following as a "typical meal" and I don't know if he means one that will definitely give you an attack (because it will if you suffer from IBS) or if it's one of his meals in his 30 day plan :
Lettuce Tacos - Fry half pound extra lean ground beef cooked in half teaspoon olive oil, garlic, salt to taste, chopped carrot and chopped zucchini. Serve in butter lettuce leaf.

BUT, what really, REALLY bothers me is the following statement:

Now that you're here, our goal is to rid you of not the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) but the cause of it.

First of all that's pretty much saying that he/they can cure IBS. He doesn't say cure, but getting "rid of the cause of it" means the exact same thing.

Second of all, the problem with IBS is that researchers, scientists, doctors, have not been able to find an organic cause. This is why we can only manage it and not cure it. IBS is not even fully understood other than it's a group of common symptoms. That's why it's called a "syndrome" and not a disease. For all we know, IBS is a catch-all term for various digestive disorders that doctors may understand better in the years to come. I believe that someday a cure will be found, but I believe it will be a result of research and studies which find what the cause of IBS is.

I'm tired of feeling sick and having to be a "picky" eater, too. I like that others who have suffered from IBS and are doing better are trying to help the rest of us. But I don't think this person is able to take the information he's gathered, such as the studies he's looked at, and make an educated, logical conclusion about the data that proves his plan can get rid of the cause of IBS in 30 days. Maybe he means getting rid of trigger foods to avoid attacks, but that's different from being "IBSfree." You might argue the same about Heather, but I feel her understanding of the various studies, the evidence she provides, the resources she lists, and the ability to communicate this information in an educated way is what makes her stand out. Plus Heather has the support of the medical community (see the introduction to The First Year: IBS written by the David Posner, MD, Chief of Gastroenterology at the Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore, Maryland).

If you want to try it, that's up to you. If you feel the information he's provided makes sense and is worth a shot, go for it! Just becareful, because even people with the best intentions might not have the best information.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (08/25/05 11:24 PM)

Re: Pectin... my bad. It's good! new
      #208663 - 08/25/05 11:39 PM
Ballinsw

Yeah, sorry about that. I should read better. Thanks for the welcome. I am spun out by how many people have IBS! Maybe we all have it and only a couple of people in India don't have it! FYI I just checked the ibsfree.com site and he's added a recipe link. So maybe he read my email? I think he must be doing the site now. I did a check on the domain and he like only registered it a week ago. He must be churning out the pages as we speak because the recipe link wasn't there an hour ago. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention. Maybe IBS and forgetfulness has a link? But they looked so yummy! I just have to go shopping tomorrow now for all the ingredients!
Wilson

#208664 - 08/25/05 11:49 PM
Ballinsw

Gee you really make newbies like me look kind of stupid. It's funny you mention the tacos meal, I just saw it, I CAN eat ground meat if there's next to no fat. I know some others can't stomach it so maybe he isn't one of the more severe cases. I read somewhere that 70% of IBS people have mild, 25% have moderate and 5% severe. I only remembered it because I knew I was in the 25% group as it was the one whose lives get interrupted regularly but not so much that you can't leave the house.
I kind of agree with him though that you have to treat the cause not the other end. I read his story, a little brief but he wrote about the time as a baby and how the doctors or someone treated his exema. And it was because of the milk not the exema. And it seemed the doctors were saying one thing and all the while it was really a lot more simple than that. Because we all got different IBS I'm just hoping I have what he had so I can see it go like he seems to have. Am I making sense?
It's late.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Everything depends on how I feel. Aint that the truth.

W

#208666 - 08/25/05 11:56 PM
lalala

Quote:

Gee you really make newbies like me look kind of stupid. It's funny you mention the tacos meal, I just saw it, I CAN eat ground meat if there's next to no fat. If you're not "stable" yet (meaning you're feeling good most of the time and attacks are rare), how do you know this isn't a trigger? I know some others can't stomach it so maybe he isn't one of the more severe cases. I read somewhere that 70% of IBS people have mild, 25% have moderate and 5% severe. Yes, I remember reading this somewhere too. I'm not sure what I am. I think it changes...no matter what I'm experiencing there are triggers I always have to avoid (like red meat, dairy, high fat). I wish I could cheat once in a while, have a slice of pizza or something, but I've had such bad, scary attacks I just can't risk it. I only remembered it because I knew I was in the 25% group as it was the one whose lives get interrupted regularly but not so much that you can't leave the house.
I kind of agree with him though that you have to treat the cause not the other end. I agree with this--if we knew the cause for each of our individual IBS cases. I read his story, a little brief but he wrote about the time as a baby and how the doctors or someone treated his exema. And it was because of the milk not the exema. And it seemed the doctors were saying one thing and all the while it was really a lot more simple than that. Because we all got different IBS I'm just hoping I have what he had so I can see it go like he seems to have. I hope it works for you! Keep us updated on how it's working out for you, okay? Am I making sense? Yep.
It's late. I know! Am I making sense? Glad you've joined us here on the boards--it's always interesting to hear new perspectives and meet fellow IBSers and learn what's worked for them. Take care!

I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Everything depends on how I feel. Aint that the truth. Amen!

W

Re: Pectin... my bad. It's good! new
      #208667 - 08/25/05 11:59 PM
lalala

I know--what is it? Like 20% of the population! It's crazy. You'd think there'd be more studies, but I guess since doctors don't think it's a real "disease" and it doesn't kill you they don't worry about. Maybe we need to discuss it more openly with our friends and families and demand more from the medical community. I mean, they've done a lot for erectile dysfunction and acne.

Good luck grocery shopping tomorrow! You might want to cross-reference the ingredients with the foods to avoid list provided on this site as well as the list of triggers. Heather's explanation of WHY these foods are triggers make sense.

Best wishes!

support of the medical community new
      #208952 - 08/26/05 04:57 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I have brought Heather's book with me to every doctor I've seen, and they have all indicated -- politely or otherwise -- that they think it's bull. I guess part of the problem is I'm a bad poster child -- I've been obessively following this diet for over year and I don't feel one bit better. My new GI just looked at me like I were an idiot and said, "Why are you bothering to follow this when it obviously isn't helping?" He just didn't GET IT! I mean, if I feel this awful on safe SF, how does he think I'd feel if I were eating cheeseburgers and ice cream??? Geez.

Has anyone else gotten shot down by their doctor for following Heather's diet?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2226 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17964

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review