All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NEWLY DIAGNOSED
      #207589 - 08/22/05 06:26 PM
WOODY

Reged: 08/22/05

I am newly diagnosed and I am feeling pretty low tonight. After living this way for the last 6 months, I told my husband that I didn't know if I could deal with this for the rest of my life. I am already overweight and am on Weight Watchers. Have lost 30lbs so far. I almost wanted for the doctors to actually find something today with my scopes so that it was actually SOMETHING and not just termed something that I have heard for so long - IBS!!! That doesn't mean much at all to people who hear it every day. I never thought I could feel this bad each day since March of this year. Any advice for a newbie? I also deal with other health issues and am having surgery sept 2. I think that's what makes all this so hard to accept. I have had my fill. Please help somebody... I need hope.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: NEWLY DIAGNOSED new
      #207597 - 08/22/05 07:10 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

hey hun,
There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I was diagnosed with IBS about a month ago...and i have suffered for about 8 months. No one said its easy... IBS can be really hard at times..and sometimes it feels like there is no hope, nothing to grab onto. I have read one of Heathers books, and talked to the guys and gals on these boards, and followed Heathers diet, and i am feeling much better. Are you IBS- C or D? Or A? I have IBS-D so Immodium has helped me out tons..also finding a way to relax, like yoga, or something is great. Know that you are not alone, and that we are all here for yah. These boards are absolutly fantastic, and theres lots of cool people on here and lots of recipes and good stuff! Hope i was a bit of help! Hang in there hun!
Melissa

#207600 - 08/22/05 07:21 PM
dmdentre

Reged: 06/09/04
Loc: New England

Hi there. Well, you have found the right place. I know it sounds silly, but sometimes it really just helps knowing that there are other people out there with the same problem. I suggest trying the diet and working on some ways to relieve stress in your life. Sometimes just the stress of worrying and thinking about your IBS symptoms (or impending surgery) makes it worse. I find that doing activities I like to do will keep my mind off of my symptoms. Good luck with your belly!

Danielle

#207659 - 08/23/05 12:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

IBS *is* controllable. The stability of my IBS is almost entirely in my control now - i.e. if I eat bad, it gets worse, if I eat good it gets better. And even if I do get an attack from eating bad, I now know how to get stable again quickly.

Fyi, WW can be hard on this diet b/c of it's emphasis on IF veggies and salads. It is possible, but IMHO calorie counting is easier - use something like fitday.com.

I REALLY recommend "IBS: The First Year"...it's just fab.

#207669 - 08/23/05 01:20 AM
rob n

Reged: 08/18/05
Loc: WA

Hi, I'm new here too, and understand where you're coming from. Yes, this IBS thing takes effort, education and planning to manage. Doing those things can be difficult, especially when stressed, sleep deprived, or feeling like crap. I try focusing on positives and it helps me immensly. Here's a BIG positive for you. You are here, resource central for feeling better. Many spend YEARS searching for answers, safe foods, other people who truly understand what they are dealing with.
I do, and wish you well.

--------------------
Robert IBS-D 6 Yrs

#207684 - 08/23/05 05:32 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I came to this sight about 18 months ago very miserable with C, and the doctor had simply said "do whatever you were doing before you saw me, if it works"! I came here and read, and read, and researched and read some more, asked lots of questions, added one supplement at a time (for C of course) starting with the Acacia, and today I'm pretty stable most of the time.

If you are here, you have found a place for hope, friendship, support and help! Welcome! I hope you are soon feeling much better!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#207697 - 08/23/05 06:04 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh sweetie... I'm sorry you are dealing with so much.... jump on this site and read read read, make sure you get Heather's books...educate yourself as much as you possible can about IBS and the diet... you really can get some kind of control once you know how to deal with it. best of luck sweetie.... you have come to the right place....WELCOME!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#207705 - 08/23/05 06:40 AM
melissamonica

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Hang In there!
Use this board- there is alot of knowledge and experience here. I thought I couldn't live with it either- and that was 2 years ago- I said that.
It hasn't been easy but it's been okay. Kind of a one day at a time thing.
I was so down that I told my husband I would understand if he wanted to leave me- because it was not only affecting my life, but his as well. I told him he didn't sign up for this when we got married!
(He didn't leave) (I didn't want him to really leave)
Again, just hang in there. Ask questions, read the posts.
Best of luck
Melissa

#207851 - 08/23/05 01:46 PM
sgebhardt

Reged: 08/19/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hi there! I'm in the same boat as you. I am on weight watchers as well and was diagnosed just last week Friday. I was hoping as well that they'd find something but now I am glad they didn't. Although I know I'm going to have rough times, I know I will be ok. As a friend told me last night, "you can do this! you're a strong person! Everyone has to make some sort of changes in life". Although it's painful at times, with the help of Heather's diet and the people here on the board, I know we can get thru it! I'm willing to give it a try!

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

WW & IBS: Snorkie's opinion
      #207900 - 08/23/05 03:24 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I would have to respectfully disagree that counting calories is easier than doing Weight Watchers. I never had the self-discipline to count calories and lose weight on my own. Counting points was much easier (and even fun, but I may be odd that way ). I needed the support and accountability that WW meetings provided. Their message boards can also be pretty helpful. That's been my experience.

Granted, it was pre-IBS, but I lost about 35 lbs. on WW three years ago. I have been able to keep it off since IBS. (In fact, I even lost a little more weight following the IBS diet.) No, with IBS, you can't have the salads, but it's not a WW requirement to eat salads. Fruits and veggies, yes. Salads, no.

I will, however, admit, that I often only get 4 servings of fruits & veggies a day instead of 5, but that's generally out of pure laziness at dinnertime.

In sum, don't knock WW if you haven't tried it. It worked for me. I know it does not work for everyone,though. WOODY, if WW is working for you, keep at it. It can co-exist with the IBS diet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 621 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2075

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review