All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What are your thoughts about what my Dr. says?
      #207531 - 08/22/05 03:19 PM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

I saw my 3rd GI (female) Dr. last Thursday and have felt disturbed about it since. She would rather see me go to ER and sit for hours in excruciating pain ultimately resulting in Morphine - via IV. My PCP gave me some pain pills because I explained to him that I can't afford the co-pay every month to ER and sitting for hours before being seen or treated in such severe pain. This new GI is not happy about the pills and stated she disagreed with him for giving them to me. I explained to her that the therapist I am seeing for Perimenopause/IBS suggested having pain pills on hand for those times and said there is no reason to stay in pain for that many hours when all they do is give Morphine anyway. This new GI is now suggesting either accupuncture or a larger facility. When I asked her if she would support me in trying for permanent disability (suggested by the therapist-hard decision for me as I've always worked), she told me that it was between my, my PCP, and my therapist. You know they will take her into consideration. What would you do at this point. I have a follow up with her in 2 months and I feel like maybe she isn't qualified enough to handle me. She mentioned 3 times already that I have a very complicated condition as I also have Interstitial Cystitis.

Thanks for any input.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What are your thoughts about what my Dr. says? new
      #207550 - 08/22/05 04:41 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Why does she prefer you go to the ER than take painkillers as needed? Does she not trust you to self-medicate? Your PCP sounds very understanding, but your GI seems reluctant to help you feel better. Maybe she isn't qualified! Can your PCP recommend another GI to see? I don't think you should stick with someone who makes you feel uncomfortable and isn't willing to help you manage your condition.

Re: What are your thoughts about what my Dr. says? new
      #207557 - 08/22/05 04:53 PM
DanieB

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

I can understand why popping a pill is better then sitting in the ER just to get similar meds for pain! I think that GI docs and docs in general just don't get the pain that we feel unless they themselves have IBS. And I have seen many docs over the past few years and none of them have had IBS. What I wanted to say to you is that maybe you should give acupuncture a try. I did it and am so glad that I did. I have IBS-C and have suffered many many years before trying acupuncture as a last resort. (My GI wanted me to have surgery.) I went once a week for about 6 months and took herbs. I started having daily BMs within a month and have been "stable" for 6 months after the treatments ended. Acupuncture can also provide relief for Interstitial Cystitis. You should look into it. I have a lot of knowledge about acupuncture-besides being a patient I provide malpractice insurance to them so I know the profession inside and out. Let me know if you have any questions.

I agree new
      #207580 - 08/22/05 05:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Regardless of her reasoning, you should NOT stay with a doctor of any sort who you aren't comfortable with... and it sounds like you're not comfortable with her treatment suggestions, and I can't blame you there.

Re: What are your thoughts about what my Dr. says? DanieB new
      #207733 - 08/23/05 08:33 AM
HeidnOut

Thank you so much for your reply. It is most appreciated. What exactly do they do with acupuncture? I thought it was a bunch of tiny needles in certain areas of the body but do they inject some kind of medication with it? I know it works for many and not for others. Also, can you give me an idea on how much treatments run? Thank you again. Heidi

Re: What are your thoughts about what my Dr. says? MariaMaria new
      #207734 - 08/23/05 08:36 AM
HeidnOut

I've been on the same thinking track. It's like she would prefer me to sit in excruciating pain and take Morphine. I "hate" Morphine, I don't like the way it makes me feel even though it does kill the pain. My PCP did refer me to 1 GI already and he walked in during my consult with an attitude and is known to be a very good Dr. I didn't take it personal because I had never seen him before so I just assumed he was having a bad day or difficulty with the patient in the room next door. Then I find out he has Cancer, so that is another adding factor.

Re: I agree Atomic Rose new
      #207738 - 08/23/05 08:45 AM
HeidnOut

I like her but she appears to be over confident and isn't licensed to presribe pain pills in California as she came from Michigan. That's what she told me, anyway. If I go to another GI, this will be my 4th one. I feel so discouraged. I really thank you for your input and support. It means everything to me to know someone out there cares enough to try and help.

Heidi

Re: What are your thoughts about what my Dr. says? DanieB new
      #207832 - 08/23/05 01:09 PM
DanieB

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Acupuncture is where they insert tiny needles in different points on your body. It also includes the use of herbal concoctions. There are no injections of anything. I always had several needles around my belly, 1 in each wrist, several on each leg, sometimes 1 in between my eyes and about 4 on my chest during each session. It lasts about 45 minutes. Depending on who you go to sessions are usually $80-$100 for your initial visit and $60-$80 each weekly session. (No it's not cheap!) If you want to find out more info about LAcs in your area go to this website: www.acufinder.org. Not only can you find LAcs in your area but you can find out a lot about acupuncture. Once you find someone, I can also find out specific info on them if you want! Hope this helps. D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4617 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1490

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review