All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Connection between IBS and "time of month"?
      #207349 - 08/21/05 10:07 PM
sgebhardt

Reged: 08/19/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

I was just recently diagnosed with IBS. The symptoms started about 6 months ago and just recently I figured I should get it checked out. My doctor diagnosed me with IBS. I am wondering if there is a connection between "time of month" and IBS. I noticed that my cramping during that time of month started getting worse about six months ago when the IBS symptoms started. Is there anything I can do during that time of month to make it more comfortable for me? Heat patches don't work and the medication for cramping that my doctor gave me just seems to make itthe cramps worse and gives me diarrhea. I am wondering if maybe it's more the IBS symptoms I'm feeling rather than "time of month" cramps.

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Connection between IBS and "time of month"? new
      #207354 - 08/22/05 03:42 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do a search on hormones or period and you'll get lots of info on the connection between your mentrual cycle and your IBS. It's likely that your doc has given you an NSAID for the cramps and they can make IBS worse so try extra-strength tylenol instead.

#207383 - 08/22/05 06:55 AM
MichelleB

Reged: 07/30/05
Loc: Ottawa, ON

When I first when to my GP, he thought maybe it was endometriosis b/c I complained of it being bad around my period. I had a transvaginal ultrasound done and that test ruled out any uterus problems. Have you had any pelvic/vaginal ultrasounds done to rule out that spectrum?

Re: Connection between IBS and "time of month"? I've been having the same problem new
      #207415 - 08/22/05 09:16 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

They believe part of it is hormonal because it always hits me at the time I cycle. I'm supposed to take Milk of Magnesia during that time as I suffer from IBS "C" predominent. So far, so good.

#207425 - 08/22/05 09:43 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Oh, HUGE correlation beteween IBS and PMS. Do a board search. There's TONS of info on pms and IBS. Diarrea tends to get worse that time of the month. Try immodium.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

HI SHER! new
      #207435 - 08/22/05 10:03 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i see youre new! welcome i too have been noticing annoying pains when my PMS time rolls around. i notice *2 weeks* before my due-date, i get really hungry. like---kirstie alley hungry!! for little vegan cakes and munchies and sugary stuff. [i keep a vegan-organic diet so fortunately im not getting any of the CRAP in traditional junk food but im not happy with the aftermath of it!] i eat like im never full! also i get more bloated then i would.

i see it partially as IBS interferring but i also see it as my body growing into its menstration cycle [im only 20] also i used to be really reserved about the foods i would eat so i think a third of my body is making up for what i didnt used to eat.

i agree that the PMS meds in the stores and such are *not a safe choice* first off, they have caffiene and youll come to find that caffiene is a GI stimulant [eventually youll have to give up your coffee!! if you drink it] PEPPERMINT is the best muscle-relaxant out there and the most natual. if you shop at, or are near a WHOLE FOODS, i recommend buying DR.BROMMERS ORGANIC PEPPERMINT OIL SOAP and taking a hot bath. peppermint essential oil applyed on the temples relaxes your mind so your body can relax more natuarally on its own. and peppermint tea, goes right to the stomach. and its warmth really eases up the pain and tension on the organs dealing with menstration. if you can find a one, a small compress filled with lavender seeds and flowers can be set in the freezer and laid on your eyes when youd like to catch some Zs. i use that when i have a headache and in 20 minutes or so, i feel better.

good luck! and keep seaching! theres tons of helpful stuff here peace

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: HI SHER! new
      #207491 - 08/22/05 11:54 AM
sgebhardt

Reged: 08/19/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Thanks for all the help! First thing I'm going to do is find that peppermint tea! Thanks everyone!

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

Re: Connection between IBS and "time of month"? Linz new
      #208440 - 08/25/05 09:21 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

Hi Linz!

I was reading your posting about NSAIDS. I've tried Extra Strength Tylenol on several occasions but it does nothing for my menstrual cramps. Now Advil (or Ibuprophen) does wonders. In fact (and I couldn't believe what I was hearing) one GI Dr. suggested I take Advil for my IBS. My IBS is too severe for just Advil but, Advil does wonders for my menstrual cramps. I take something stronger right now for my IBS pain that my PCP prescribed. Needless to say, my GI isn't happy with the fact that I'm taking Percoset but in the end, if I go to ER they give me Morphine (which terrifies me) and to me that is even worse. I think this Dr. isn't as familiar with IBS as she tries to pretend to be. Heidi

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6444 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1224

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review