All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Help! What to eat at Mexicali Rosa's? (Mexican food)
      #206290 - 08/17/05 08:06 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi everyone

I could use a little help. I'm going away on a business-type conference this weekend and one night we'll be eating out a restaurant with the whole group - which practically sends me into a panic attack as it is. But the worst part is that it's Mexican food. The name of the restaurant is Mexicali Rosa's - I've never been there before. I think it may just be a Canadian chain, but they do have a website www.mexicalirosas.com and their whole menu is available up there (direct link to menu - pdf)

Any ideas? Keep in mind too that I don't eat tomatoes at all and I don't do too well with corn either (which makes Mexican food even harder! ) I think the only thing I could maybe eat on that menu is the blackened slamon on pg 2...?

I will probably email the company as well but the conference is this weekend and I wasn't sure if I'd hear back from them in time. Plus I thought I'd get your guys' far-more educated opinions first

Thanks so much for any advice or ideas! The whole thought of this just freaks me out I probably won't be able to eat anything at the whole confrenece to being with, but at least I can plan ahead for this one a bit...

THANK YOU!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! What to eat at Mexicali Rosa's? (Mexican food) new
      #206296 - 08/17/05 08:21 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Hmm, that's a tough one. Do you do veggies well? What about the grilled veggie fajita? If worse really comes to worse you could order some flour tortillas and rice. Those are both sold as sides at all the mexican restaurants I go to.

But... do you have to go to the restaurant at all?

#206368 - 08/18/05 07:10 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

the baked ranchero wings, under starters, look alright, maybe with a side of rice or something...
lime marinated chicken breast, without the cheese or chipotle,
grilled chicken burger, w/o tomato or mayo

bear in mind, this is coming from a vegetarian. i haven't paid the *closest* attention to the meat parts of this diet, but these sound like they might be okay.

j

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#206377 - 08/18/05 07:24 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hmm not too many choices on there eek, they like to use tomatoe sauce alot it seems. If I had to choose I would prob get the chicken breast and some white rice. The salmon would be a good choice too or the veggie fajitas.
Good Luck and I hope you have a fun and healthy weekend!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#206390 - 08/18/05 07:46 AM
MichelleB

Reged: 07/30/05
Loc: Ottawa, ON

Mexi's is my favourite place to eat! I have had their chicken fajitas (you top them the way you like), the chicken tacos (again you can ask for certain toppings) and the rice. I know, it is hard to eat out and see everyone else enjoy whatever they want....I am sure you'll do okay.

#206417 - 08/18/05 08:58 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

When I eat at our local Mexican food chain, I ask for an order of flour tortillas as an appetizer and eat it while everyone else is eating the fried chips. Then I order chicken fajitas (page 2 on MexicaliRosa's menu) - they come with more flour tortillas. I eat the chicken, the onion, the guacamole (make sure there's no dairy in it), a little bit of the beans (I order black, not refried - I'm not sure what's in MR's Santa Fe Beans), and pico de gallo and salsa (but those two mean tomatoes). I keep the amount of filling small in relation to the tortilla size which means asking for extra tortillas.

If you want to go this route, I'd suggest asking ahead of time if they use dairy when cooking the chicken/onions (butter?) or in the guacamole or beans. If not, then all you should have to worry about is fat level - I'm pretty fat-tolerant. In fact, whatever you think you're going to eat, you can ask ahead of time about the ingredients.

Also, you might take an SFS right before you eat.

HTH. Have a great time.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#206431 - 08/18/05 09:26 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Yikes! Mexican Food! (Sorry, but it literally scares the **** out of me!)

Well, I scanned/skimmed the menu. You might luck out with the rice. Flour tortillas should be okay. The salmon dishes sound like they might work. Do you eat chicken? They offer grilled chicken, if you do, and that would probably work. Quite likely you can mix and match and just be REALLY PICKY!!!

Whenever I see menus like that I feel like keeping a potatoe in my purse and having them zap it!

Have fun at the conference. I hope that the dining aspect of it is smooth sailing. You know the ropes.

If you handle avocado okay, then maybe the guacomole would work, as long as you clarify that there are no milk ingredients in there.

If it's an overnight thing, I know you'll pack tons of safe foods/snacks/precautions.

I can hardly wait to hear how it turns out.

Kate.

guacamole new
      #206453 - 08/18/05 10:35 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

isn't guacamole almost always made with sour cream?

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#206483 - 08/18/05 11:52 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

We eat Mexican a lot and I found that the chicken fajitas work fine for me. I roll the chicken(I can tolerate just a little sour creme & cheese, too) up in a flour tortilla. It's really very tasty and has never bothered me.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#206488 - 08/18/05 12:00 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Get their yummy fajitas!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 725 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3252

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review