All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Smell of cooking hamburger making me sick
      #206240 - 08/17/05 04:24 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I am wondering if the smell of cooking hamburger upsets anyone elses IBS. I know I am not pregnant...but tonight while I was browning hamburger for my other half...it started to turn my stomach sour. I can already feel the gut tightening and cramping and I know it will only be a matter of time before the diarrhea kicks in.

I guess I am off to sip some tea...how I hate this.

-Michelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Smell of cooking hamburger making me sick new
      #206243 - 08/17/05 04:34 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Cooking smells never bother me in the sense of making me sick, but I do think smells can trigger your gastrocolic reflex. For example, I used to get attacks every time I went to the grocery store and I find I do much better if I'm not hungry when I food shop. So, if this is what's going on with you, try making sure you're not cooking on an empty stomach, so your digestive system doesn't go into hyperdrive when it smells cooking food.

If it's just that the smell is making you sick, not hungry, then my only suggestions are to either feed your other half ground turkey or convince him to cook his own hamburger. Not much help I'm afraid.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#206248 - 08/17/05 04:45 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, I've never liked hamburger, even before the IBS. But now the smell REALLY makes me feel ill. I don't necessarily have an attack, but it brings back BAAAD memories. It's not as bad anymore. I guess, for me, it was like having an aversion to something after vomiting. I'd recommend taking 1 Imodium caplet as a preventative along with your tea. I bet the hypnotherapy CDs would work for something like this.

#206251 - 08/17/05 05:23 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Yup. It makes me nauseated. Same with being too near KFC or food frying. Another huge meat smell trigger is THE SMELL OF HAM COOKING. This gives me the D-wave everytime.

Yes, certain food smells are HUGE triggers and it's challenging when everyone is using their BBQ.

Yuck.
Kate.

#206252 - 08/17/05 05:24 PM
Sailing Away

Sand,

I am a bit thrown since last night I cooked him pork chops with no problems on an empty stomach. Tonight I had had a snack not more than a half hour before I started cooking, which is normal since that is when I take my soluble fiber capsules and start my water to help them do their thing.

I would feed him ground turkey but he hates its taste and texture. Just can't win at this house. Guess thats what I get for trying to make him supper before he got home.

-Michelle

#206253 - 08/17/05 05:26 PM
Sailing Away

I hadn't thought about the immodium tablet. That might help. I am just miserable right now.

I quit eating red meat 4 years ago...I can't stand the smell of hamburger new
      #206254 - 08/17/05 05:34 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

but I don't get "D". I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#206259 - 08/17/05 05:50 PM
Sailing Away

Kate-

Thanks for the heads up on the ham. He has a ham steak on his agenda for tomorrow night's supper. Might just have to head to my girlfriend's house. At least there I get the option of playing with my "nieces and nephew"

New symptoms new
      #206308 - 08/17/05 09:33 PM
Sailing Away

Well this is a first...usually it is either gas or bloating when my gut starts this cramping. Instead it is making this grumbling sound- you would think I have small animals or something growling inside or me. My fiance thinks I am hungry...which I am not since I munched on some dry rice/corn cereal (about 1/2 cup) and some french bread (1 slice) and had an actual glass of citrucel rather than the capsules along with some tea.

So I am now with a grumbly gut and I keep having to go to the bathroom to pee every half hour. I didn't think I drank any more water than I normally do today. I am really confused. I just about get to sleep and then it feels like all heck is breaking loose with the noise and then needing to go visit my bathroom.

I am thinking that my heating pad might help, but not sure. Any suggestions? I wish it was stress...but things have been going great for the past two weeks other than the bad day today-running out of toner and needing to copy 500 brochures and 200 applications and have them ready for tomorrow, ordering the wrong thing out of the catalog and having to deal with the returning of it and reordering only to find out its back ordered for two weeks. Haven't eaten anything different. So I am at a loss.

I am only blaming the hamburger since nothing happened until I took the lid off of it and then about 5 minutes later, wham. I am so glad I gave up red meat and dairy if this is going to happen just from the smell. I would hate to see what happens if I was to be bad and sneak any.

I hate this since I am tired and need sleep since I am just so excited about the students coming back tomorrow. Oh well...here hoping it passes soon.

-Michelle

#206496 - 08/18/05 12:12 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

That smell, the smell of bacon and the smell of eggs makes me feel like hurling. YUCK!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4892 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2932

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review