All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
trigger foods
      #206014 - 08/16/05 05:22 PM
ginger2

Reged: 08/16/05

i was wondering about three foods that i know are healthy, but maybe not good for ibs:
wheatgrass juice
flax seed (in pulverized form, like flour consistancy)
tempeh (i read a lot of recipes for tempeh but i would like an experienced okay before i try them)
i just discovered this website a few weeks ago, i am still working out my kinks.
thank you
ginger2 :ooo: [color:black] [/color]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: trigger foods new
      #206098 - 08/17/05 07:23 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I don't know much about the first two, but I've successfully eaten tempeh without any problems. Just be careful if you're not used to soy, since it is a bean and isn't the easiest thing to digest. But if you're used to soy you should be good.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#206103 - 08/17/05 07:52 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Ground flax seed can be safely used. It is high in fat and needs to be substituted for fat otherwise the fat content will be too high. Some people with C put ground flax seed in their food everyday. I have a bag and haven't used any yet! Here are some flax seed recipes I found, recipe recipe 2 recipe 3

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#206141 - 08/17/05 09:32 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've had Wheatgrass juice without a problem. I would avoid flax like the plague (fiber and fat). As Kree said, if you're okay with soy, then tempeh should be okay.

Kate.

I do fine with flax meal new
      #206161 - 08/17/05 10:03 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Are you a C or a D? If you are a C, I highly recommend a tablespoon of ground flax in your morning cereal. I use Nature's Way golden flax powder form. Nature's Way It's really smooth, and as you can see, one tablespoon only has 1 1/2 grams of fat which is pretty low considering the oatmeal has like 3 or 4! Here's a post where Heather suggests maybe trying some flax in the cereal if you are C flax

I know others who take this too and it is good natural fiber if you are unable to handle the bloat and gas that some people get with any SFS they try.

Oh, I eat bread with flaxmeal baked into it too...and someone posted a recipe on the Eating Board for this. I know about 5 or 6 different posters who swear by the flax, especially if unable to tolerate SFS!

Let us know how it works for you. It is very nutritious with lots of good nutrients in it!

Re: I do fine with flax meal new
      #206173 - 08/17/05 10:40 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

I am a C and after reading posts on ground flaxmeal I bought some and started adding it to my cream of wheat. I noticed lots of gas and some bloating. I didn't have any luck with the Citrucel, or Metamucil. I haven' tried Benefiber. I am taking Acacia, I had upped my dosage to a tablespoon ( I have been taking it since May). I am not sure if it is one or the other or the combination. I tried the flax oil and that gave me terrible gas. I figured the oil was very high in fat (which I didn't think of before).

Sorry to ramble, I was just wondering if anyone else had any similar experiences.

Jamie

Re: I do fine with flax meal new
      #206798 - 08/19/05 01:15 PM
ginger2

wow, thank you for all your information. like i said, i am in learning mode here so i need to know what C or D means, and where i can find that out which one i am. also, what is SFS?

#206802 - 08/19/05 01:22 PM
ginger2

thank you for the recipes
everyone seems to have different experiences with the flax so i wil have to experiment, its too bad that it could be a trigger because it happens to be so good for you.

Here's a link to the abbreviations new
      #206804 - 08/19/05 01:30 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

All the "locked posts" at the top of the board are a good starting point to get some basic information. Here's the one for common abreviations we use on the board. Abbreviations

C= Constipation is predominant problem
D= Diarrhea premdominant problem
A= Alternate (between C and D)

SFS = Soluble Fiber Supplement (Citrucel, Metamucil, Fibercon, Benefiber, Equalactin, Fibercon, Acacia...)

HTH

Edited by Cyndy (08/19/05 01:31 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2261 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 961

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review