All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
going away to college..
      #205329 - 08/13/05 09:42 PM
KellyAnn21

Reged: 11/12/04
Loc: PA

I am leaving to go and start college in a week and a half and getting a little nervous about how I will feel there. It is three hours away from home. I remember reading posts before about college students who request a dorm with a bathroom and kitchen, no such luck at my school. There are NO freshman dorms with kitchens or bathrooms...so I'm going to have to tough it out. I am planning to bring plenty of Luna Bars, Graham Crackers, Nilla Wafers and Imodium to last me for awhile and keep them under my bed. I going to try and stay away from most of the cafeteria food unless I know it is safe. Does anyone have any more tips of things I can bring to microwave that will be really good for my stomach. I eat a lot of noodles at home, but I won't have a stove at school..there aren't microwavable noodles out there that are safe..are there?? I am just hoping there is..I'm sure I'll be posting here a lot once i get to school, especially if I'm not feeling too well...Hope to get some helpful tips. Thanks!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

There are nuked noodles that are safe! new
      #205334 - 08/13/05 11:46 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

They're Thai something brand rice noodles and they're great!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: going away to college.. new
      #205340 - 08/14/05 05:52 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Ulp, I started college 15 years ago next month. I feel old!

Progresso chicken noodle soups have been safe for me (both the fat-free & the regular varieties).

You might want to wait and see how strictly they enforce the rules, but maybe eventually you could get a crockpot too and cook something that way once in awhile. (I remember that most colleges say no hot plates or crock pots, but I know the crockpot rule was not enforced in either dorm I lived in back in the day.) Heck for that, matter, you could get a little George Foreman grill, too, or instead. But wait to see if you can do that.

#205371 - 08/14/05 10:23 AM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Hey, I'll bet you'll find it won't be that bad. The good thing is there will be bathrooms everywhere near every classroom. And, unlike high school, you don't need permission to use them when you need, you just discreetly go about your business like an adult.

Ramen noodles are microwaveable with water. When I was in college I used a - not sure what to call it - a covered pot with a cord on it that you could boil water in and put the noodles in, in my dorm room. You could do boil in bag white rice that way too (or rice in the microwave - there's really even a lot of cooking of vegetables you can do in a microwave, might be worth investing in a cook book). A stash under your bed sounds like a good idea. Also, the dining hall might surprise you. I didn't have IBS in college, so maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but a lot of them pay attention to healthy diets like vegetarianism. There will probably always be bagels and cereal (I used to have coco puffs for dinner sometimes!) available and I'd bet they will have soy milk. Plus, there's always parts of meals - plain rice or pasta (they may have meat and nonmeat sauce separate, making it easy for you to ask for it without it) I'd bet there will be healthy veggie dishes you can eat too.

So don't despair. Going away to college is an awesome experience and you'll be fine!

Re: There are nuked noodles that are safe! new
      #205382 - 08/14/05 11:03 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

There are definitely options for you...some frozen meals, such as Amy's organic rice and veggie bowls, have been safe for me, and there are always microwavable soups. I'm sure your dining hall will have plenty of safe options too, like oatmeanl, rice, baked potatoes, white fish, etc.
I was stressed beyond belief when I left for my first year of college about a year ago, but I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to living and eating there.
Also, I don't know if you feel comfortable asking for special accomodations, but at my University, some students with food allergies, diabetes, or other similar problems, are granted special access to kitchens.
It may be worth looking in to.
Good Luck!

Julia

--------------------
Julia

#205391 - 08/14/05 11:52 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Yay, another collegian! I'm starting my sophmore year in a few weeks. Where are you going to school?

There are some recipes on this site which can be made in a microwave. One of them is a meal-in-a-cup, which (IIRC) involves nuking some egg sub and soymilk in a cup until it cooks, leaving you with some nice cooked "eggs". I suggest you do a forum search on "microwave" and "food".

Also, if you can eat oatmeal, bring some of that and some microwaveable bowls. There's an oatmeal recipe in Heather's book which I like, or you can make your own.

Hope this helps, and good luck in school!

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#205392 - 08/14/05 11:52 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hi there,

This has come up a lot, so I'm going to link you to a couple of threads that I've responded to. Check it out, and let us know if you have any other questions. We're here for you!

Amanda

web page

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

eggs in the microwave new
      #205394 - 08/14/05 11:55 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Eggology is my new favorite product. I know I mention them all the time but I swear they don't pay me! Anyway check out the website www.eggology.com . They sell 100% pure egg whites in a variety of sizes, including individual pudding-sized cups that you can pop right in the microwave for instant scrammies. I love it! Plus it lasts practically forever in the fridge and actually forever in the freezer.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#205396 - 08/14/05 11:59 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, KellyAnn! Will you be able to keep a microwave in your room? Or is a community microwave for everyone on your floor to use?

I don't know if you're stable or what you can tolerate, but here's a list of some food items I kept in my dorm room (and some I wish I knew about back then!):

--Thai Kitchen rice noodles or rice bowls (Delicious and safe! Flavors include ginger, lemongrass, curry, garlic, spring onion and more! 68-99 cents a packet)
--Quaker instant oatmeal (check to make sure you don't get the ones with dairy--I do fine with plain or Maple & Brown Sugar)
--applesauce and/or fruit cups
--peppermint/fennel/chamomile teas
--peanut butter (if you can tolerate it)
--sliced, white bread
--low-fat saltines

If you have a mini-refrigerator in your room, I'd recommend getting some soy yogurt, soy/rice milk, and soy/almond cheese if you can tolerate it and if your cafeteria doesn't provide soy products. There's not always a lot of safe choices from the cafeteria, but my cafeteria always had a cereal bar and some sort of soy milk available along with bananas.

I'd also recommend taking a heating pad or stocking up on those heat patches.

I hope this helps! I wish you the best in college!

I just love the name, eggology! -nt- new
      #205408 - 08/14/05 01:15 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1542 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1567

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review