All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Overeating?!
      #205221 - 08/13/05 10:08 AM
caths

Reged: 07/14/05
Loc: TX and MA

I was just wondering if any of ya'll who have struggled with eating disorders have had any problems with overeating after your eating disorder or during recovery? I just love to eat so now that I'm no longer restricting myself, I'm doing the opposite. It's like I'm trying to make up for lost time or something but shoving as much food into me as possible. Not only is this bad for my IBS, but it's making me gain lots of weight really fast! (I was never at a dangerously low weight, even during my ED). I just don't know how to control myself!

--------------------
.:IBS.:.C:...:pain.bloating.gas:.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Overeating?! new
      #205326 - 08/13/05 09:35 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I also struggle with my weight and overeating. When I began this diet in May I didn't worry about how much I ate, just adjusting to the new way of eating was all I could handle. Then last month I began to get into a nice routine with the correct foods for me so I decided to start tracking/journaling all of my calorie intake everyday. I was surprised to learn that I really was eating only around 1200 cals a day and very little fat. Anyway now I have lost almost 20 lbs since I began in May and it is getting easier to stop when I'm full. Last weekend I had some family problems and almost ate the baseboards! I am a stress eater big time. I don't know that I've answered your question very well but I do want to encourage you to try keeping track of what you eat and maybe that will help you see a pattern. I do eat something about every 2 hrs, just small amounts. At least when I'm writing I'm not eating!!! Take care.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Edited by franny (08/13/05 09:36 PM)

#205374 - 08/14/05 10:31 AM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

"almost ate the baseboards!" Franny, you made me laugh my head off aloud. Yeah, I know that feeling too.

#205380 - 08/14/05 10:57 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Yes, absolutely.
I think it is normal to test the boundaries after you've been restricting yourself for a while. I know that it is incredibly difficult dealing with both the emotional effects and the physical repercussions of overeating, but we have to try to be as kind to ourselves as possible. After all, your "signals" are probably a little bit screwy because of the disordered eating, and it will take a while for things to normalize. Trust me, I know how hard it is. I've been dealing with IBS symptoms throughout my long recovery process, and it can be a confusing and frustrating combination. I have similar symptoms to you as well (pain, bloating, constipation)...if you ever want to talk about anything pertaining to IBS or anorexia, don't hesitate to email me at jcfriedm@ucsc.edu.

Take Care,
Julia

--------------------
Julia

#205724 - 08/15/05 07:08 PM
marija

Reged: 07/02/03
Loc: Highland Park, IL

Hi caths-

Just wanted to chime in and say I've dealt with the ED/IBS combo, too. I had some rebound compulsive eating after restricting and finally addressed it all. IBS definitely complicates things! Sometimes just putting food in my stomach makes my symptoms better (albeit very temporarily), so I have to distinguish eating to try to make myself physically feel better from the times (rare these days) that I eat to make myself feel emotionally better.

I still have some work to do in redirecting to healthy IBS strategies to relieve the IBS problems.

Best of luck to you! Oh, btw, this site might be useful if you haven't already heard of it. http://www.something-fishy.org.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1486 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 647

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review