All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What is it that causes gas??
      #20430 - 09/11/03 09:33 PM
andie18

Reged: 08/07/03

What is it that causes gas? I've been doing my best to eat well, but today the pain is so unbearable. I get sharp pains in my chest, sides and stomach. I'm even feeling it in my back. By the way, I suffer from severe IBS-C and I don't know if it's a common symtom, but I rarely pass gas. Therefore, I'm very bloated and uncomfortable all the time.

Thanks for any advice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is it that causes gas?? new
      #20431 - 09/11/03 09:48 PM
Ash

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Bellevue, WA

Carbonated beverages, chewing gum, beans, and trigger foods can all cause gas. Have you tried fennel tea, gas-x/phazyme, or charcoal tablets? Those can all help. Fennel is really good for bloating, and gas-x really helps those incredibly sharp pains. You might also want to try the "the wind relieving posture" yoga pose or putting a warm heating pad on your tummy. Those sometimes help me.

Heather's post on yoga pose

#20447 - 09/12/03 05:44 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

What kind of fiber supplement are you using? Some of them, such as Metamucil can cause terrible gas. I tried the chewable FiberChoice tablets for awhile. They helped my constipation, but I was doubled over with abdominal pain. We went to a party one night and I was in such pain that I thought my husband was going to have to take me to the hospital. I quit taking those tablets and that pain went away. Wow, talk about trapped gas! And it was up really high where I had never experienced it before.
Sometimes I think the gas is just caused not really from something we eat but the fact that our GI tract is just S-L-O-W-E-D down. When my gas pains get really bad, I have taken a few of the over-the-counter gas tablets and they have helped. (I find that I have to take the maximum dose for several days to get rid of it.)Good luck!

#20584 - 09/12/03 07:54 PM
andie18

Reged: 08/07/03

Thank you. I have been using a natural supplement called Fiberblend (which hasn't been relieving constipation) and thought that may be contributing so took a break, but in worse pain then ever. I will try the Gas-X, but similar products didn't really work in the past. The only thing that worked for the pains (but not for my severe constipation) was Zelnorm. I'm waiting for my work benefits to kick in to go back on them.. but apparently one can't stay on them for more than 3 months.

I have cut back those triggers you mentioned so don't believe it's those. Tired of the pain!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1045 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 832

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review